The Last Decision

Cassie's reflection in the mirror looked beautiful as ever. She wore a tight, black dress and wore heels. This time she put a more dramatic make up on and just brushed through her healthily shining blonde hair.

But something changed. For years, the attractive face of the vampire shown a glimpse of torment, sadness and cruelty she lived through. This was gone. Her cheeks reddened a bit, a little smile was on her face when she attached red lipstick to her full lips.

She was nervous as a high school girl that was asked out by her crush to prom. It kind of matched the situation. Just that she wasn't a high school girl, they were going to a nice restaurant and she was asked out by someone worth more than a crush: the love of her life.

After Cassie's turning, Elijah and her spent some months together. She needed him for this time, because she struggled to control her new urges. He stood by her, as he promised her. He was always there, keeping her from things she would regret. And he taught her to fight. Even though she was now physically stronger than him, he could still get her down, because she simply wasn't a good fighter. Quickly she learned how to channel her overwhelming power in something useful.

Still, things were quite tensed between them. Cassie forgave him a long time ago, but they just couldn't find their way back to each other. Hundreds of heated up moments, tons of missed opportunities.

Cassie had the feeling that he was somewhat relieved that she wasn't that breakable anymore. He never had to be afraid that she would get caught up in his business again and die in front of his eyes. It will never happen, because she was the strongest creature in the world, even stronger than Elijah himself.

But Cassie thought that he was handling her with kid's gloves because on the other hand, he saw her as a ticking bomb. He was so afraid that there would be a point where she would realize what happened and that she would shatter into a million pieces and slaughter innocent people.

This wouldn't happen, Cassie swore to herself. This time she would be strong, she would be independent. So she decided she would lift some weight off Elijah's shoulders and leave the city for a while. She traveled Europe, finding back to herself. There she met awesome people, saw the beauty of Europe's old cities and just enjoyed her immortal life for a while. It was the best decision she ever made, it freed her in some way. She promised herself to take this attitude back to New Orleans.

Back to Elijah. Cassie missed him dearly. She thought about him everyday when she was gone. That was the sign for her, that they should stop playing in the past and to move on. They needed to come back together.

The former married couple had a long phone call and spoke freely about their feelings. And it brought back the ease in their relationship. Elijah was determined to to it the „right way" this time. He wanted to treat her like the breathtaking lady she was. A true gentleman.

Today, Carrie arrived back in her apartment in New Orleans. She smiled when she found a hand written note.

I'm picking you up at 8 pm.

Welcome back, my love.

- E

Now she stepped down the stairs and was greeted by the handsome figure of the Original vampire. As always, he wore one of his neatly tailored suits. His eyes engulfed Cassie, taking in her stunning beauty.

A smile widened on her face and they spend some moments just staring at each other. She felt how much she missed him, her heart ached when she lay eyes on him. How could she have forgotten how good this man looked? He was her perfect match, she couldn't imagine anyone else to be with.