The Darkest Day

„Maybe we should turn this into a hideout for everyone who wants a time out...It's a pity that no one uses it."

Cassie yawned. Elijah and her spent the whole night in her flat just talking.

He took her hand and kissed its palm.

„I mean, everyone could come...Hayley, Rebekah...even Niklaus or Marcel."

Elijah rolled his eyes by the mention of Marcels name.

„If that fool can't stop himself from always watching your...behind whenever you pass by he definitely needs a place to hide."

The blonde vampire couldn't hold a laugh back.

„Since when have you turned into a jealous one."

He shifted nearer to her, whispering.

„It's hard to keep the competition away if you have the most beautiful woman walking the earth at your side...and I always tend to get possessive about what's mine."

Cassie couldn't stop smiling lovingly. It was that little moments of happiness that kept her alive.

But somehow it felt like the peace before the storm.

...

When they arrived back at the compound everyone was quite tensed up.

Tonight was the big night. They planned to kill Mikael.

Cassie shivered by the sound of his name. This wouldn't be easy going.

He hunted them for a thousands years and now they just planned to but him into a deep slumber with the help of the little witch Davina.

But he still had the white oak stake. Cassie doubted their plan would work.

It was half a hour left before the brothers wanted to leave to find their father. Cassie and Elijah stood silently in their room, her fixing his tie.

„Do you really think this will work? It sounds quite too easy."

Elijah pulled up her chin with his index finger.

„We don't have a choice. It's better that we attack first before he surprises us."

„And your mother? What if they made an alliance?"

The Original lightly shook his head.

„They won't. They hate each other more than they hate us."

Cassie shrugged her shoulders.

„But they'd always been up for unwelcome surprises."

Still looking into her eyes, Elijah sighted.

„Of course there's a risk. But we are strong, my love. And we'll be careful."

„Then you shall explain why Hayley and I can't come with you."

„Listen to me. You two are the most important persons in this house. We need you to protect Hope and to run if something goes wrong."

A single tear left Cassies eyes. She couldn't bear the fact of not seeing him again.

Elijah stroked the tear away and kissed her cheek.

„I will be back soon, my love. Don't worry."

...

That uneasy sensation inside wouldn't let Cassie rest.

She sat with Hayley in silence. Just the baby made some carefree noises. The women wished they could be more like Hope.