=>No Reply<=

The six lads performed on stage, garnering squeals and cheers from the audience. Kathy's jaw dropped.

She didn't know Paul was an amazing musician.

She watched as he flipped his hair back and forth, as he strummed his bass guitar like a pro, as he gave everyone his signature smile while singing and playing.

It was a sight for her.

"Oh, Paul!", cried the ladies. Kathy just raised her eyebrows at them and looked at Paul's reaction. He winked at them.

He f**king winked at them.

It was as if her stomach was tied into several knots and a large weight was placed upon her. She didn't understand the feeling.

She wasn't jealous, was she?

She made her way to the club's bar and sat down, still observing the lads. It was like they were having the time of their lives.

"Well, that's a drag.", she muttered to herself, wiping her sweat from the towel she always kept in the pocket of her apron.

"What is?", another voice joined her, surprising her a little.

"Oh, those lads performing there and how the ladies react to them. It's as if they were worshipping them, like gods.", she rolled her eyes. The man chuckled and bit his lip.

"I'm Richard, by the way.", he extended his hand for her to shake. Kathy smiled.

"Kathy. Nice to meet you.", she said, grabbing his hand and smiling. They both laughed after this.

"So, why are you all by your own here? Come enjoy!", he suggested. She just shook her head.

"I actually work here. And no, thanks. I'd rather be away from the fuss happening there.", she replied. Richard just nodded.

"Well, then. I guess I'm staying here with you. Wouldn't want to leave a pretty lady all alone.", he said, winking afterwards.

The young woman's face was flushed.

-x-

Minutes had passed, and the pair were still talking. It was like they were lost in their own little worlds.

"So, this one time, my dad taught me to ride a horse. And instead of me getting on the saddle, I ended up falling face first on the damp ground. What made it embarrassing is that it happened right in front of my crush back then. So, yeah.", Richard narrated. Kathy threw into fits of laughter.

"Oh, such a shame.", she said, trying to compose herself. He just laughed at her.

"Yes, indeed.", he added, still cracking up. After that, there was silence between them.

They stared into each other's eyes and their smiles faded. Something was happening. It was like they were being pulled together.

"I was just thinking-" Richard was cut off by Paul butting into the conversation.

"Sorry, mate, but my girlfriend and I have to leave now. Cheers!", he said rather rudely, and grabbed Kathy's arm, leading her to the exit.

"What the- Paul! We were in the middle of a conversation!", she whined. Paul remained quiet. He just gripped onto her hand and opened the car door for her.

She got in and waited for Paul to do the same. When he did, she bombarded him with questions.

"What the hell was that? What the f**k is wrong, Paul? Why did you call me your girlfriend, huh? Why were you rude to Richard? He was just being friendly!", she ranted. Paul just scoffed.

"So that's his name.", he muttered under his breath, and started the car. Kathy just crossed her arms and laid back on her seat with a frown on her face.

The drive was silent. It wasn't peaceful, but a tension-filled. Paul focused his eyes on the road, but would occasionally look at Kathy from the corner of his eye.

Kathy, on the other hand, just looked out her window. She didn't know what she did wrong. All she did was talk to the boy. So whatever reason, she was not apologizing.

They reached home and Kathy expected Paul to let her open the door herself. But Paul, being the gentleman he is, still opened the door for her.

"Thanks.", she muttered, glancing up at him, but Paul just looked away. He seemed... hurt.

She sighed at this and went inside, Paul following suit. He locked the door and made his way upstairs.

Kathy knew he was mad, but she didn't understand why. She trailed behind him and watched him grab some pillows and a blanket, then exiting the room.

"I'm taking the couch tonight. Goodnight.", he said, staring straight ahead, and descended the stairs. She seemed confused.

"Why not sleep here with me?"

Paul stopped in his tracks and turned to face her again. His eyes looked tired and seemed sad.

"I would, but I bet you'd prefer to be beside that Richard guy than me, right?"

And with that he turned his back on her.