=>Yesterday<=

Paul woke up and stretched, feeling the bedsheets for his love, but much to his dismay, she wasn't there.

"What- Kathy?", he asked, rubbing his eyes and getting up from the bed they shared.

He slowly walked down the stairs and overheard Kathy talking with someone, perhaps on the phone.

"Last night, Mum. Yeah, yeah, I know! His best mates were there, too, playing songs for us. Then I opened up that I was ready to marry him.", she recalled. Paul stood at the doorway of the living room, watching his girl talk about last night's events.

"Thanks, Mum. Does Aunt Mary know? Oh, maybe Paul didn't call her yet."

"Mum! Nothing happened last night!", Kathy stated, blushing madly. Paul giggled at this, for he really didn't try anything last night, because he wanted to wait until after their marriage.

"Yes, Mum. I love you. Always take care of yourself. Bye.", she said as she hung up. Paul made her way towards her and wrapped his arms around her small frame.

"Hi! I didn't know you were awake!", she mused, turning around and hugging him.

"You're so cute when you get all defensive.", he stated, making the woman in front of him turn beet red again.

"What? Nothing did happen last night!", she uttered. Paul winked.

"Oh, but it almost happened.", he said, leaning in and kissing her. She wrapped her hands tightly around his neck, and so did Paul around her waist. They swayed as they made out, but were disturbed as the sound of the telephone ringing echoed through the room.

"Ugh, who the bloody hell would be calling us on a weekend?", he groaned. Kathy just smiled and pecked him on the cheek.

"Now, you go answer that while I make us breakfast.", she said, walking to the kitchen.

"You can cook?", he asked, smirking, to which Kathy responded by giving him a dirty look.

"I can do a lot of things, Mr. McCartney.", she boasted, whipping her hair as she continued walking. Paul just chuckled at this and picked up the telephone.

"Hello?"

"Son..."

"Samuel? What are you calling me for?", he asked coldly. He wasn't on the mood to talk to his stepfather.

"It's your mother, Paul.", he trailed off, immediately catching Paul's interest.

"What about my mum? What did you do, Samuel? I swear if yoymu hurt her, I'll-"

"I didn't do anything, for Pete's sake! Would you just listen to what I have to say for once in your life, eh?", he raised his voice, silencing Paul.

"Your mum got into an accident."

Upon hearing that, Paul dropped the phone and fell down on the floor. Kathy heard the impact, causing her to rush to the living room.

"What is it- Paul? What happened?", she worriedly asked, kneeling down next to her love. Paul was silent, tears brimming his eyes and hands shaking.

Her eyes made her way to the phone, and she heard the muffled voice of Samuel on the other end.

"Hello, Samuel? What happened?"
"Hi, Kathy. Congratulations on your engagement, by the way."

"Thanks, Samuel. Paul's freaking out right now. What's wrong?", she asked.

Samuel sighed on the other end. "It's his mother. She got into an accident last night."

Her heart broke into a million pieces. She knew how close Paul was with his mother. She could only imagine what he was going on in his mind right now.

"What type of accident, Samuel?"

"Car accident. She and I were just driving home from a restaurant, when out of nowhere, this 12-wheeler truck came rushing towards us. Though we were both wearing our seatbelts, pieces of shattered glass cut through our skin, and Mary the back of her chair really hard.", he tried his best to explain it to her without breaking down.

"Is she-"

"She's alive, Kathy.", Samuel cut her off. "But she's on life support now since there are organs which are badly damaged due to the shattered glass."

"How about you, Samuel?"

"I'm alright, dear. I've only got a broken arm and some wounds and bruises, since I wasn't the one with head-on collision with the truck.", he said reassuringly, yet his voice cracked as he spoke.

"We're gonna head over there. Which hospital are you staying in?"

"Maryland Memorial Hospital, Kathy. We will see you. Bye, dear.", he said, hanging up.

She then looked back at Paul, now sitting on the couch, with his face buried in his hands.

She sat next to him and hugged him tightly, to which Paul reciprocated. He sobbed on her shoulders and Kathy rubbed his back as he did.

"Shh, Paul. There's still hope. Are you ready to visit your mum?", she asked softly. Paul didn't speak, but nodded slowly, still crying.

"I'm here, Paul. I'm always here."