8- Sinking Ships

Its nighttime, and I'm sitting up in my bed, in my room. I'm currently on my phone. I hear a tap on my window. I look up from my screen.

I look at my window, and stare at who's on the other side. Its Spider-Man.

I hop out of bed, and walk to the windowsill. I pull open the pane. "What are you doing here?"

Peter's upside-down, and peers in. "I'm sorry. I didn't know that you were sleeping."

"How long were you going to stay there, and not get my attention?" I try hard not to be awkward with this whole situation. My face starts to heat up.

"I just got here, I wasn't watching for long," Spidey answers, clearly embarrassed. "Or watching at all."

I shift from foot to foot. "Need help crime fighting? I'll go get my stuff... I mean, my suit."

"No, its okay. I wanted to talk to you about the Spider-Man fan club. That's all."

"Oh...Okay." I step away from the window. "You can come in, if you want."

Peter climbs in from the window, and scales my ceiling. He takes off his mask, and drops down, making a thud on the floor.

My Mom calls from the other room, "Fiona? What was that? You should be in bed."

"I just tripped, Mom. No big deal. I just went to get a drink of water." I turn to Peter, "we just have to be really quiet," I whisper.

"Maybe I should go. Its late, and you need your sleep."

"It is entirely up to you. You can leave if you want."

We stare at each other for a long time.

"I'm...I'm going to go. But I promise you, we'll talk about this some other time. I just want don't you to feel like you're not wanted."

"...Thanks, Peter." I smile gently. "You're a good friend." Though I wish he were more that just a friend. I force that thought away. "Be careful."

Peter pulls his mask back on, "don't worry, I'm always careful." Then he climbs back out the window.

I close the windowpane shut. I turn around to my bed, and smile.

                                                                   🕷🕷🕷

My parents decided to take a family trip to the Statue of Liberty. My little brother is excited, because he's never been there before. I brought my satchel bag, with my Intensity suit inside. Because you never know when I might need it.

I look down at the rolling waves, beneath the Staten Island Ferry. Its so peaceful, even though you're surrounded by about five hundred people. I feel a hand touch my shoulder. I turn and look at my Dad. "What is it?"

"Isn't this great?" My dad asks. "I haven't been on the Staten Island Ferry since I was little."

I don't say anything. The wind blows in my face. "I was having a moment."

My dad removes his hand from my shoulder, and pats me on the head. "Whatever you say, Fiona Rose."

"I hate my middle name," I grumble.

"You're Mom wanted to call you Fiona Lilly."

"Where is Mom and Ethan anyway?"

"They wanted to see the Statue of Liberty from the other side."