Chapter 2: Lilith

The power overwhelmed me, a symphony of voices, cries of pain. I could see them, the young, the old. Everyone flocked to me in search of resolution so that they were no longer stuck on this hellish earth. Mama warned me of this, she said this day would come! It wasn't until one of them touched me that I was scared.

He was a little boy around the age of seven. He wore a cowboy hat, and cute little cowboy boots. At first I thought he was lost. "Hello little guy! Where are your parents?" I had asked him. I watched him shrug his little shoulders and turn to walk away, and that's when I saw it. The back of his skull had been smashed in. I reached out to grab his hand before he walked away, and then it was if I had lost my soul.

Every inch of my body had felt like it was submerged in subzero water. My breath whooshed out in a visible cloud like I was standing outside in the middle of winter, and emotionally I felt completely numb. And then something unusual happened, it was me who had the bashed in head. I felt the blood drip down my neck, the only warm part of my body. That was when I saw Gabe.

He was kneeled on the ground in front of something. Tears streamed down his face, leaving clean streaks on his dirty cheeks. I looked to my side to see Cam standing next to me. "What ar-" I whispered but Cam put his finger to his lips. He pointed back towards my brother. That was when I saw Cam's body, lying cold and lifeless on the ground.

I sat there in the bushes for hours, waiting to make sure Gabriel wouldn't come back. By the time I worked up the courage to leave my spot it was already dark out. I walked over to where he left Cam's body. I laid my hands on his chest, and bent my face over his. Here goes nothing, I thought, and kissed him.

I felt Cam's chest rise under my palms.

My name is Lilith Asta, and this is my story.