Chapter 29: Rush Over Me (Lilith)

I stood in front of my mirror messing with my impossible hair. I yanked a brush through the curls hoping that it wouldn't get stuck this time. Cam sat cross-legged on the floor behind me, munching on potato chips. He laughed as the red mess of hair stood up around my head like an afro.

"You look like a red cotton ball," Cam laughed while pointing at my hair.

"Shut up!" I screamed at him, still yanking the brush through my hair. The day had been humid, leaving my usually nice curls very frizzy. After I decided that my hair was untangled enough I broke out my straightener and began to flatten the copper strands. "Gabe hasn't been home in two days..."

"I know Lilith, but you know how your brother does stuff like this all the time. He will be okay," Cam said to me.

"I know, but after what we saw earlier? I can't even imagine the kind of trouble he is getting himself into now." I sighed leaning up against my vanity. "There's gotta be some way that we can help him."

"Maybe," Cam said tapping his chin. "Have you checked the old books your mom and dad used to have?"

"No, those are in Gabe's room and I don't feel comfortable going in there." I replied. I felt since now he didn't trust me, that he wouldn't want me near any of his stuff.

"In times of trouble, Lil, you gotta break the rules." Cam got up from the floor and walked out of my room. He headed towards Gabe's room, and I followed after him. I watched silently as Cam walked in, took the books, and closed the door behind himself. Once we were back inside my room I took the old leather books out of Cam's hands.

"So I was thinking," I began, "I think there may be a way for me to fix your current state."

"What do you mean? I'm fine." Cam said.

"But what about the part where you have to eat human brain and spinal cord to feel normal?" I asked him while flipping through the brittle yellow paper.

"It's a small price to pay, and I don't hurt anyone." Cam replied shrugging his shoulders.

"You saw what I did for Alex, I could do the same for you." I had to figure out a way to find Cam's talisman within my brother. I felt bad about how much it hurt him to pull out Alex's crystal.

"Let's just focus on the task at hand," Cam said grabbing one of the books out of the stack. He too began to carefully flip through the pages, skimming for anything about Reapers. After going through two books without finding anything useful I slid the book to the floor and put my head in my hands.

I felt Cam's hands on my shoulders as he began to massage the tight muscles. His hands felt like magic on my stressed out neck. I lifted my head up and leaned back towards him, as he began to work deeper. When he stopped, I sighed a long breath of air. Cam still stayed positioned behind me, which caused me to turn around.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked him when I saw his facial expression.

"Nothing," He mumbled and moved away from me.

"It's obviously not nothing." I said in an annoyed tone. I was not one for beating around the bush, I knew he was hiding something.

"Fine, you're right. I just can't believe that you have never noticed." Cam clenched his hands into fists and then relaxed them slowly.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I asked him picking up another book.

"Never noticed what?" I asked him.

"I've been living with you in secret for years, sleeping in your bed even. I can't help the way I feel."

"I really don't understand what you are trying to say stupid." I put the book back down and gave him my full attention.

"I love you, you idiot." Cam grunted.

"Oh I know silly..." I laughed.

"No, you don't know." Cam was clearly frustrated. "I'm in love with you."

I felt a range of emotions flow through me. Some of which I was unsure of, things that I had never felt before. But of those emotions, one of them was not the same feeling of love that he had for me. A sad smile formed on my lips as I bit my tongue. I was afraid that if I told him that I didn't feel the same, that he would run away like my brother did.

"It's fine you don't have to say anything..." Cam turned away from me.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

"It's okay. I think I found something anyways." Cam held the book up for me to see. On the page was a diagram of what looked to be a potion, one that could be a temporary fix for my brother.