Chapter 21: Maddy (Lilith)

I sat in the graveyard alone. I had told Cam to stay at home by himself, that I had needed to have some time to think. Really, I just couldn't stand another second looking at him, looking at the monster that I had created. So instead of facing my mess I ran away to the one place that always made me feel safe. I sat cross legged in front of my father's grave, with my fingers buried in the soft green grass.

The tombstone in front of me read "Beloved Father and Husband". The engraving always made me laugh, since my father was the biggest ass hole to ever walk the planet. He was a drunk by day, and a thief by night. He was a Necromancer like Mom and I, but instead of embracing his power he tried to drink it into oblivion, and when that didn't work he would raid houses and hospitals for mind numbing drugs.

"Well Dad," I put my hand on the cool stone, "Looks like I'm turning out more and more like you every day."

His soul had never bothered to stick around since he died two years ago. Dad's death didn't affect Gabe as much as it did me. Maybe it was because whenever he was sober enough to show any sort of emotion the only one he would acknowledge was my brother. I was the one craving the attention, while Gabe casually brushed off any attempt my father made. So when he died, I felt all the years of trying unsuccessfully for approval come crashing down on me, I felt heart broken.

Oddly enough cemeteries are as dead to the living, as they are to the dead. Once a soul has passed they are either either embraced by a Necromancer, or they are trapped on the Earth silently stalking the family the left behind. Makes me wonder if my father had a secret family, since he was nowhere to be seen. I turned my head to see a pair of pink sneakers standing next to me. I lifted my head up to see that they were in fact attached to a person.

"Can I help you?" I asked slightly nervous.

"Um, no. I just thought you looked kinda lonely." She sat down next to me. "I'm Maddy."

"Hi Maddy, I'm Lilith." I sat back against the stone, keeping my eyes on the small girl.

She looked to be the age of 15. Maddy had short blond hair and light blue eyes. She wore a velvety-pink jacket and blue jeans that were rolled up at the bottom. There seemed to be an odd discoloration around her neck, but I just shook it off.

"Are you here visiting?" She asked me, smiling as the sun trailed over her skin.

"Yeah, I come here when I need to think." I said turning away. "Are you new here?"

"Well, not really..." She trailed off. "I was born and raised here. What about you?"

"Oh yeah," I said. "I've never even left Tekonsha. It's weird that I've never seen you before, guess I really don't get out enough."

"Haha, don't worry about it. I don't go out very much either." She smiled to herself and turned her head back to the sky. "I miss feeling the warmth of the sun."

That's such an odd thing to say, I thought. She must be some sort of shut in. "I honestly can't wait for fall."

"Oh I used to love fall!" She exclaimed.

"What do you mean used to? Did you pick a new season?" I chuckled to myself.

"No," She said. "I died."

Her hand made its way to mine, and when our fingers touched the spirits inside me absorbed her. I was subjected to the last few moments of this poor girl's life.

***

There were crusts of blood on my arms and legs. I knew that if I moved in just the right way I would rip the self inflicted wounds. "Mustn't be too quick" the thought ran through my mind, but it wasn't me who thought it. Maddy's pink sneakers had replaced my blue chuck taylors. I realized that I was standing on a stool. My fingers clutched a folded up piece of paper, I didn't have to look to know what it was. Methodically my hands slipped the tied rope around my neck, tightening the knot. As she she kicked out the stool from beneath herself, I found my consciousness slamming back into my own cranium. Maddy had killed herself. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that the chapter up top is a deep one. I myself have struggled with self harm and even suicide attempts, and let me tell you, hurting yourself is never the answer. I wanted to take the time to say that if you are constantly struggling, talk to someone. Whether you are someone on here who knows me personally, or a devoted and lovely reader who I have not had the pleasure to meet, I just want you to know I love you, and care about you. Be safe my lovelies, and know that there are always people who care. - M