Chapter 19: Rescue (Lilith)

My phone buzzing next to my head woke me up. I had fallen asleep in the car with Cam, he laid across the back seat. I groggily rubbed my eyes and picked up my phone. I saw Gabe's name on the screen, he had called me multiple times. I swiped the glass and held the device up to my ear. He was crying.

"Lilith, I-" He hiccuped "I need you to come home."

"What happened Gabe?" I asked, my voice thick with concern.

"Just, hurry." The line went dead.

"Cam," I said shaking his shoulder. He mumbled something but kept his eyes closed. Oh well, I thought and turned on the car.

The drive was a short one, since I was only asleep at the back of the cemetery across the road. It was apparent that Gabe hadn't wanted me home, so I stayed away. I parked the car in the driveway and got out. The side door to the house burst open, Gabe ran out with bare feet. He grabbed me by the hand and dragged me inside.

"Hurry Lilith." He pleaded. I followed him through the house, up the stairs, and into his room.

"What is so important-" I stopped mid sentence. There was Alex, lying on his floor. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. When I opened them I saw the room in a whole new perspective. I saw her soul standing behind him, clutching his arm.

"Lilith, your eyes. They're completely white." Gabe gasped.

I had forgotten that he had never seen me use my powers before. "Give it back," it was as if my body was a harbor for thousands. The voice that came out of my mouth was not mine, it belonged to many.

"Give what back?" He asked scared.

"We see her soul Gabriel. It stands with you. Give it back so we can save the girl," the voices said.

"I don't know how to..." He cried.

"Then we shall take it from you," came out of my mouth. It was if I had no control over my body. I took a step towards my brother who backed up, scared. He was right to be scared, but the souls always got what they wanted. When it came to saving lives, nothing stopped them.

"What are you doing Lilith?" Gabe's lip quivvered.

"We, are not Lilith." I watched my arm lift up, even though I had not willed it to do so. Gabe's terrified eyes bore into my white ones. He opened his mouth to speak but was stopped by my hand, impaling him through the chest.

He grunted in pain as my fingers squeezed his heart. A small trail of blood left the corner of his mouth. I felt my own face smile, as I began to withdraw my hand. My bloody palm held what seemed to be a turquoise crystal. The spirits whispered to me that it was a physical representation of the sliver of Alex's soul that was missing. I picked up one of Gabe's dirty shirts off the floor and wiped the blood off my hand and the crystal.

Alex's spirit followed me as I walked towards her cold, lifeless body. I knelt down to the ground and hovered my head over hers. I breathed in, staring at her unopened eyes and brought may face closer to hers. I touched the crystal to the palm of her hand, and my lips to hers. I heard a sharp intake of breath, and then her hand moved around mine.

"What the fuck?" She was scared.

"You prolly don't remember what happened today, which is good..." The spirits said more to themselves than to Alex. Panic filled her face.

"Lilith? Why did you just kiss me."

I didn't answer her questions, instead I let the spirits take over. "Wear this, always." A small ribbon appeared out of thin air. My hands slipped the crystal onto it before tying it around Alex's neck. "And forget."

I placed my hand to her forehead and erased the memory of her dying. The only two thoughts I left inside her head were her fear of my brother, and the lingering thought to never remove the ribbon. Ever.