Chapter 6: Chemistry (Lilith)

I sat in my advanced chemistry class holding a box of matches. My lab partner David sat across the table ready to switch on the gas to the Bunsen burner. We had always been taught to strike first, and turn on the gas second to avoid any unwanted explosions. I held a match between my pointer finger and thumb.
"Ah, Lilith. Your goggles?" He pointed at my head.
"Oh, right. Duh." I cringed internally. I set the match down and then pulled the green plastic goggles over my eyes. I felt my face get warm, and I had my hair in a bun so there was no where to hide.
"Good morning students," Mrs. Meyer's said. "Now I know it's unusual to have an experiment on the first day of class, but since this is an advanced class and you took the precautionary unit over the summer I thought this would spice up the first day of school." She smiled at all of us.
"Now there are a few things I need to say before we start. One, today's experiment will be dealing with sublimation. You will be turning this crystal into iodine gas, which will then again cool back into smaller crystals. Two, since there will be no liquid in these beakers they will possibly be subjected to cracks or they may shatter. Do not, I repeat do not freak out if they do break. Iodine gas will not kill you. Three, tie your hair back if it's long please. And four, have some fun!"
After the long speech David and I started the experiment. The iodine gas was beautiful. It was very dark purple, almost black. Both of us seemed to be amused watching the crystals reform on the glass that covered the beaker. Once the experiment was over we were to wash the equipment and place them back in their respective drawers. Then then bell rang.
"Do you have anyone to sit with at lunch?" David asked.
"Um," I looked at my brother across the hall. "No."
"Would you like to sit with me?" He smiled a cute grin. He looked like a puppy.
"Um, I guess so." I grabbed my backpack off the floor and followed him into the cafeteria. We sat down at a table in the back of the room. I watched as Gabe adjusted his gloves before handing the lunch lady his money. He kept his head pointed down as the lady smiled at him.
"So Lilith, how long have you been at this school?" David asked.
"Since kindergarten." I said.
"Huh, weird that I've never seen you before." David looks like he's searching every inch of his brain for a memory of me.
"I try to keep a low profile," I said awkwardly.