Chapter 31: Storm Clouds (Lilith)

I stood in the doorway of the town library with Cam next to me. His arm was hooked protectively around my shoulders. His pale blond hair was hidden underneath a black beanie, and he wore a red scarf pulled up to cover part of his face. My winter jacket was zipped up to my throat and I had knitted gloves on my hands. Today was unimaginably cold, I sensed that it was going to snow.

Taking a deep breath I pushed open the door. Warmth spilled out from the library, and yellow tinged light spread across the ground. We both stepped inside, unzipping our jackets. The librarian, María, sat at her small crescent shaped desk. She herself was reading a book, one that looked to be a dirty romance novel. I chuckled softly.

"María," I said quietly, now standing in front of her. María was in her early thirties, the daughter of the previous librarian. She had dark brown hair, cut short. It was an angled bob that stopped just below her chin.

"Lilith, I haven't seen you in here in a while." A smile spread across her face.

"I need your help," I felt my face flush. I was embarrassed that I used to come here every single day after school.

"You can just use the computer to search for books now," María said pointing to an ancient looking computer monitor.

"No, I need a different kind of assistance," I raised my eyebrows at her.

"Oh," her eyes widened as she realized what I meant. "You need me to do a spell?"

"Here's the book I found it in," I dug around in my bag until I found the small leather clad book. I had shoved a bookmark in between the pages I needed. María took the book from my hands, and read over the requirements for the spell.

"I can do this for you, but it's going to take a while." She grimaced. "Are you in some sort of trouble Lil?"

"Um, not currently?" I said awkwardly.

"You do know this spell is only a temporary fix to your....problem?"

"Yeah, I just need it to keep someone at bay until I can find a better solution," I looked awkwardly at the ground. I silently hoped that I could keep my brother from killing too many people while we waited for the spell.

"I'll call you as soon as it's ready. Stay safe okay?" Concern filled her face.

"I'll try my best María," I smiled at her before turning around to leave.

"Tell Gabe I'm going to try to be as quick as I can."

I stopped dead in my tracks. My heart lurched at the sound of his name. I didn't turn around though, I grabbed Cam's hand and just kept walking. 

"She knows?" Cam asked me softly. I felt his warm breath against the side of my face.

"She's a witch. I would be more shocked if she didn't know." I replied curtly. Pulling the car keys from my pocket, I clicked unlock before climbing into the drivers seat.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Hello lovelies, another chapter I guess. Sorry it's so short! Let me know what you think? Much love.