Chapter 33: Normal (Lilith)

My brother and Cam sat at the kitchen table with a deck of cards split between the two of them. Both boys flipped their cards over at the same time, playing the game of war. I smiled inwardly, lugging my heavy school bag behind me. The was the first normal day that I have had in a long time. The only thing missing was Mom. She was still away on business, now a traveling nurse.

"How was school?" My brother asked without even taking his eyes off the cards.

"Oh just fine. I got all the schoolwork you missed." I said pulling out three huge folders.

"Thanks," he said while collecting the pile of cards he had just won.

It had been a week since my brother had come home. Cam and I kept constant surveillance on my brother, in case the reaper reappeared. So far nothing happened, but I didn't want to jinx myself by bringing it up. I hoped that María was working fast. I needed that potion, Gabe needed that potion.

Deciding that everything was okay, I padded barefoot into my room. Throwing my backpack back onto my shoulders, I climbed up to the top of my loft to do homework. My bed was where I studied best. At least, it was until I fell asleep. That occurred a lot lately.

The spirit of an old woman crossed through my room. Her grey hair was pinned up in pink curlers, and a floral patterned robe flowed out around her.

"Hello dear," the woman said smiling up at me.

"Hi," I muttered trying to focus on my book. I wasn't in a talking mood.

"Enjoy your studies!" She said before fading into nothing.

"That was weird," I said to myself. I bent my neck, so that my eyes were aimed at the various chemistry equations in front of me. All of a sudden the number went from being blurry, to completely invisible.

Welcome back Spirits, I thought.

Lilith, we have a task for you. Their voices all spoke in unison within my head. Each time they took over my body it made me cringe. I hated not having control.

What task?

Take back the soul fragments from Gabe.

What, why? You know that hurts him! I screamed internally.

We must put an end to this.

An end to what?

An end to his careless soul reaping.

I felt my body push itself up and out of the bed. My feet awkwardly placed as I climbed down the metal rungs of the ladder. As I walked closer to the door my body became more rigid. I tried to stop myself.

Before I knew it I was out in the hall, making my way towards Gabe and Cam. Passing a mirror I saw that my eyes were completely white, as always when I was possessed. I floated into the dining room as silently as if I was one of the ghosts I saw every day.

Cam's eyes widened in shock as I came up behind my brother. His mouth opening in the shape of an o. Before Gabe could turn around my body jerked forwards, plunging my hand into his chest.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Hello lovelies, whose soul fragments do you think will be pulled from Gabe's chest? Let me know what you thought of the chapter. Much love!

-m