Chapter 4: School (Lilith)

I sat in the running car munching on an apple. The crisp September morning filled me with a sense of dread, as well as excitement. It was the first day of school and I could feel deep in my bones that it would be a rough year. Gabriel shifted in the seat next to me uncomfortably. He applied his black leather gloves, and folded his hands in his lap. I set the car in drive and took off into the new day.

"You feeling okay Gabriel?" I glanced at him from the corner of my eye.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine. Just nervous about being around people, now that our powers have matured to full capacity." He turned his head to look out the window.

"Everything is going to be alright Gabe, I promise." I didn't believe a word that left my mouth, but I would try my best to make this transition to school again without his best friend an effortless one.

When we arrived at Tekonsha Jr/Sr High School, I was awestruck at how much my classmates had changed just over the summer. Seeing him was like a firework exploding behind my eyes. His long brown hair was down around his shoulders and full of curls. His leather jacket seemed a little more worn out, but he was beginning to fill it out better.

"Hey Lilith!" Luke waved at me.

I awkwardly lifted my hand into the air before feeling my cheeks grow warm. I turned to say goodbye to my brother but he was already gone. Immediately I felt his absence, being without my twin was like losing a limb. Neither of us really understood whether this connection was real, or just a figment of our imagination. But we both felt what the other twin was feeling. From Gabe I mostly felt detachment, and agony. There was always constant agony. Sometimes I was able to tune it out, and other times it would stop me dead in my tracks.

How horrible it must feel to be responsible for the death of your best friend. And how horrible it must be for him to not know Cam is alive, even if Cam isn't the same person he used to be. My horridness is merely a fraction of his. It was something I wouldn't want to wish on my worst enemy.