Chapter 30: Soul Reaper (Gabe)

I looked down at my floating body. The reaper cloak was the color black, with what looked like navy blue stripes through it. The bottom of the cloth was frayed and hung off unevenly. My body had become transparent, my skin no longer opaque. In my left hand I held my scythe. The staff was heavy, and made out of human bone.

In the distance I heard the crunch of leaves and sticks under foot. Two voices shouted at each other.

"I can't believe you lost our camping supplies John!" One man yelled.

"It's not my fault Mark. These woods all look the same." John yelled back.

I felt a twisted smile form on my lips. This was going to be fun. I decided that today I would be trying out one of my new powers. I had read in one of my dads old books that reapers had the power to control human thoughts and actions, making their death more interesting. The more fear involved with their death, the stronger I became.

With a flick of my hand, I sent what I wanted John to do into his mind. The man stopped walking abruptly, and bent down. He reached out with a steady hand, and picked up a giant branch. Taking his foot, he placed it on top of the wood. Pulled with his arm, and pushing with his foot, he broke off part of the branch. It had a wickedly sharp tip. The wood had splintered just the way I had wanted it to.

With cold, dead eyes, John walked up behind Mark and spun him around. Mark looked John in the face, and then looked down at John's hand.

"What's that for man?" Mark looked worried.

John just stared at his friend, and didn't say anything.

"Stab him in the chest." I said softly.

As quickly as a snake strikes, John's arm flew through the air. In the blink of an eye, Mark's right side of his chest was impaled with the stick. Mark's mouth hung open awkwardly as blood spurted from his chest.

"What the hell?" Mark said before dropping to his knees. I watched as John broke off another part of the stick and then stabbed himself in the same spot.

I hadn't asked him to do that, but I was amused none the less. I decided that it was time to show myself to them. I flew forward, towards the bloody men. With a snap of my fingers my hooded cloak and I became visible. John and Mark had a look of fear on their faces.

"Hello boys," my deep voice boomed from beneath my hood. "Ready to die?"

"Please, don't. We have wives and kids!" Mark pleaded while John stayed silent.

"Even better. More suffering for me to soak up." I said laughing. Placing my hands on the tops of their heads, I felt my body fill with their souls. Their lifeless bodies feel over into the dirt. The sticks still protruding from their chests.

Closing my eyes, I listened to the sounds of the woods. Off in the distance I felt another soul. Licking my lips and I began to move in that direction. Time for round two.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Wow I haven't touched this book in a long time. If you're still reading, I hope you enjoyed the chapter! Leave a like and comment?