Chapter 1: Gabriel

The power overwhelmed me, simultaneously stimulating and draining, exciting and terrifying. I felt strong, stronger than I'd ever felt before. I could do whatever I wanted... but then the energy flow sputtered, slowed, and stopped. I tried frantically to hold onto it, but it was too late. The source had been depleted.

Suddenly, I felt a jolt as I once again became conscious of my surroundings. I was keenly aware of every sensation around me. Wind rustled the branches around me, the grass was soft beneath my knees, and the warmth of the sun was beginning to fade away. Then, I saw him. Cam, my best friend, lying lifeless on the ground. His blond hair was sticking up around his head in awkwardly placed clumps. His usually pink lips were now a shade of blueish purple. What had I done? I looked left, then right. Nothing stirred among the dense trees of the forest. Scared, and distraught, I turned and ran, tears streaming across my cheeks.

***

I sighed, blinking back the tears that once again threatened to rise up and consume me. That was five years ago, before my powers had fully developed, before I knew what I was capable of. I looked down at my black-gloved hands, clenched into fists. Slowly, I unclenched them, breathing deeply, willing my heart to slow from its frantic pace. Even though it had been five years, the pain hadn't faded. Knowing I was responsible for my best friend's death killed me every day.

Since then, I hadn't learned much about my powers. About the only thing I did know was that if I ever touched people, bad things happened to them. Sometimes they died. That's why I wore the gloves. It was easier. The only exception, for some reason, was my twin sister, Lilith. Clearly she, too, had some kind of weird powers that we couldn't explain.

My name is Gabe Asta. This is my story.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Welcome my lovelies! This is a spin off of my main book series, the Spirit Walker Trilogy. If you are interested in this book you may want to check out the original series. I will try to get updates out to you as soon as possible! I know the story kind of started out in the thick of the moment but, please, keep reading. I and my co-writer are very proud of our work. Let me know in the comments if you would wish to see a casting of the main characters. Much love. -M and C