Chapter 38: Remorse (Gabe)

I screamed as the power was ripped out of me. All of the strength I had gained from the souls was now being used against me. I felt the pain of every death I had inflicted. They built up, starting with the most recent soul I'd collected, and once that soul left my body, the next one started.

The pain peaked, and the pain brought clarity. Suddenly my consciousness separated from the Reaper's. I looked down at the carnage I had wrought and I was terrified.

This has to stop. I thought to myself. I couldn't continue to live without control. But the Reaper had destroyed María's potion, my only hope of defeating him. Then, an idea dawned on me.

"Uh, hello?" I projected my thoughts toward the spirits currently inhabiting my body. "Lilith? Spirits?"

"Hello Gabe," the spirits boomed in my head.

"Whoa guys," I said, startled. "Loud. Could you take it down a notch? Also, are you Lilith? What do I call you?"

"We are independent of your sister. We are Espirituum. We rarely choose to inhabit humans. When we do, they have great power. But they must allow us at least some control. We have taken complete control of your sister. But the most powerful necromancers work together with their Espirituum."

"Can you help me control the Reaper? I don't want to kill anyone else."

"Similar to a Necromancer, a Reaper is most powerful when the host and the Reaper can work together. However, learning to merge with the Reaper takes years of training that you don't have the resources to get."

I was crushed. "Then is there no hope for me?"

"You and your sister are unique. Because you are twins, your powers can act as counterbalances to each other."

"What are you saying?"

"We can help you control the Reaper, but one of us will need to stay with you at all times. In return, part of your Reaper soul will go to Lilith."

"How will that affect our powers?"

"You will merge with the Reaper, but you will not be as powerful as if you had fully merged. The Reaper soul in your sister, and the Necromancer soul in you will not manifest itself, while using your powers or in daily life. Your power will only be directed through your hands, as before, and you will be able to transform into a form similar to your current state, should you ever need it for battle."

I thought about it for a second. "Will it affect Lilith in any way?" I didn't want to hurt my sister.

"Your sister will be fine. Now, are you ready?"

"I am."

In a burst of white light, I felt the Espirituum rush out of me, along with the souls I'd collected. My vision, and my mind, filled with blinding white light. It overwhelmed me until I could no longer bear it.

The white light vanished, and I collapsed on my knees among the bodies, weeping.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was another amazing chapter written by @chAceofSpades :D I was honestly shook reading this before it was posted!!!!!!!! I hope you enjoyed the action as much as I did! Leave a comment if you'd like, and vote too <3

If you're still reading I've decided to post questions at the end of each chapter. 

Q. Which character do you relate the most to: Lilith? or Gabe?

Much love!!!!

-M