Chapter 25: Too Late (Lilith)

When the side door to the house slammed shut I felt whatever strength I had left in my body leave. Gabe was furious with me, and I was furious with myself. I felt tears burning in my eyes, but I brushed them away before they had a chance to trail down my cheek. I knew that this was my fault. I should have told my brother that he was alive, I should have saved Gabe from the pain of thinking that his best friend was gone and never coming back.

It was too late to feel sorry, five years too late. Gabe would never forgive me for this, and I don't blame him. He had every right to be angry with me. What scared me though, was the fact that he was out there running around in a daze, and I was too weak to do anything. Even though the ghost had left my system hours ago when I looked down at my arms I half expected to see cuts left behind by Maddy.

"Cam!" I called out.

The blond headed boy came rushing down the stairs, "Yes Lilith?"

"We have to go after my brother," I said holding onto his arm in an effort to stay standing.

"Um, I'm thinking that I should drive." He said taking the car keys from my hand.

"Yeah, you're probably right." I said

We both walked outside, I still held onto Cam. He lead me to the passenger side of the car and helped me get in. I thanked him and then he got into the driver seat and started the engine. I was slightly nervous about Cam driving, but I didn't care as long as we found my brother. I had no idea where we should look, since Gabe and I spent most of your time inside, or at the cemetery across the street.

"Turn here," I said trying to direct Cam as best as I could through our small town.

"I know you're worried Lilith, but everything is going to be okay. We'll find him."

"Cam, I don't know where he is...and his power's are getting out of control. Hell, if he is able to hurt people he loves, then what stops him from hurting others." I was getting hysterical.

We kept driving around the small town, until when we were passing a park I saw something out of the corner of my eye. There was someone floating in the sky, gripping someone else by the neck. I didn't even have to get close to know that it was my brother. Sadness gripped at my heart as I watched the body Gabe held in his hands crash to the ground, splitting his skull. When Gabe realized what he did, he dropped back onto solid ground. He whipped his head side to side to see if anyone saw before running away.

"That's just like my idiot brother," I said groaning. "To be sloppy when he's scared."

"What are we going to do Lilith?" Cam asked. An odd look came over his face, and his skin turned grey.

"We have to get rid of the body. I'm sure Gabe's fingerprints are all over it." I said getting out of the car.

We walked over to the man, he seemed to be dressed in jogging clothes. Music still played from the earbuds that dangled around his neck. I took the phone out of his pocket and smashed it beneath my boot. That way no one could track it once they realized whoever this was, was missing.

"Lilith, can I eat it?" Cam asked salivating heavily.

"Not here," I hissed. "Now help me get this body to the car."

"Don't touch it Lilith. That way in case we do get caught only my fingerprints are on him, and you can't arrest a dead man." Cam laughed picking up the dead man with ease.

I popped the trunk of the car and Cam dumped him in. We drove to the cemetery across from my house. I knew that there was a funeral that happened today, and no one would take any notice since the earth was freshly dug.

When we got to the cemetery Cam got out of the front seat and climbed into the back of the car. He sniffed the dead body, and I watched as his normal human features began to change into that of a zombie. His eyes began to glow red, and his skin became grey and sallow. Long claws sprouted from his fingers, ones thin enough to slice into the body without damaging the spinal cord and brain.

Shouldn't I be trying to save this man? I thought to myself. But then the Spirits answered me. It would be inhuman to bring back this man with his skull cracked. He would not be able to live a normal life.

I turned my head away from Cam who sloppily ate the dead man's central nervous system.