Chapter 14: Red Eyes (Lilith)

I glanced over at Cam who sat hunched over in my front seat. His normally grey-blue eyes were flashing red. He wrapped his arms around his torso and cried out in pain. I felt bad because there was nothing I could do, so I drove.

"We're almost to my house," I tried to comfort him.

"Go FASTER," He growled doubling over.

"I'm not going over the speed limit Cam," I cringed.

"Yes, you fuckin are!" He yelled pushing my leg down. The car speeds up as we flew down the dirt road. I jerked the wheel to the left and into the long and winding driveway that lead to my house.

I jumped out from the car and ran over to him. I watched as saliva dripped from his mouth, which hung open. "Um, Cam?"

His eyes were completely glazed over, and the irises were the color of blood. "I'm...so....hungry..." He stumbled towards me with his hands outstretched.

"Cam, please." My lower lip quivered. He continued towards me, and before my eyes his skin turned from its usual golden brown to a disgusting shade of grey. His fingers latched onto my jacket as he pulled himself up until our eyes were at the same level.

"Just," His lips brushed against my neck, "just let me have a little taste. A taste of you."

I stood there, unable to think. His lips brushed against my skin again. I was absolutely terrified. "P-please don't hurt me Cam."

"Hungry," He only spoke that one word. Over, and over, and over again.

"Think about all the fun times we've had Cam. All the nights you've laid in my bed. All the times you've called me stupid...I know you care about me." My voice was barely a whisper.

Cam fell to his knees in front of me. His head angled toward the ground. His tears fell to the ground silently. The sky around us began to darken with the coming rain. We needed to get inside.

"Come on Cam, we gotta get inside. And, I know. You're my best friend too." I put my arm around his waist as we walked inside. When we passed through the kitchen all the food was gone. I grabbed my phone and texted Gabe to pick up food on his way home since mom wasn't going to be here for the next few days.

"I'm sorry," Cam whispered. His arm tightened around my shoulders.

"I know, it's okay." I said pulling him closer to me. I knew that I should be scared, but I wasn't. I knew what was happening to Cam. Most importantly I knew it was my fault.

When we got to my room I opened the door with my free hand and shoved Cam inside. I laid him on my bean bag beneath the loft. He rolled onto his side, still clutching at his stomach. I knelt down by his head and brushed the blond hair out of his eyes. The irises were still red, a deep shade of copper.

"What is happening to me Lilith?" He asked. I could see there was fear in his eyes.

"I have a hunch. I have read about something like this in one of mom's books...but I'm not one hundred percent sure." I stared off into space.

"Please, don't leave me in the dark..." He said closing his eyes.

"I have to leave for a little bit Cam. I'll be right back okay? Please just stay here."

"Okay," He said grabbing my heated blanket off the floor.

I turned around and grabbed my raincoat and umbrella from the closet before heading out the bedroom door. I locked it from the inside in case Gabe got home before I did. Sadly I knew what it was that would sate Cam's hunger. And I knew exactly where to get it. Hospitals come in handy when the one you're feeding is a zombie.