Chapter 8: Visitor(s) (Lilith)

I sat in the car listening to music quietly, waiting for my brother to show up. The day had been long, and I was ready to go home. I pulled a book out from my too large backpack and flipped to the page that I had left off on. A few pages later I heard the door open, and my brothers smiling face appeared in the passenger seat.

Wait, my brother was actually smiling? How odd. And then I heard one of the back doors open. Someone climbed inside.

"Hey sis, this is Alex. We're doing a project together in algebra," Gabe said. "Alex, this is my twin sister, Lilith."

"Nice to meet you." I said awkwardly. It's been years since my brother had brought home a friend, let alone a girl. I wondered if Gabe had even thought about how our neurotic mother would act. She always got...too excited.

"How was your day Lilith?" Gabe asked.

"Fine, as always." My brother had not once asked me how my day at school went, ever, until today. I adjusted my rear view mirror while stopped at the only light in town to look at Alex.

She had medium length hair, nothing unusual about it. It draped perfectly on her slender shoulders. Her eyes struck me as odd, the brown of her irises were so dark you couldn't tell where they ended and her pupil started. They were like pools of black water.

"Um, Lil, the light is green." Gabe shook my arm.

I jerked my head and set my eyes back on the road. Time to set my sights on more important things, like not getting us killed. The drive home was a short one, just off of the dirt road across from the cemetery. Funny that I lived across from one of the most densely packed areas for ghosts.

"Just to warn you Alex. Our mother is kind of a nut." I said getting out of the car.

"Oh, good to know." Alex seemed to be a few inches taller than me. Most people were.

Gabe unlocked the side door to our house, and Alex and I trailed after him. "Mom, Lilith and I are home. Also try not to freak out but I brought a friend!"

"Huh, friend status already?" I heard Alex mumble under her breath. I couldn't help but giggle.

"I'm going to my room, I have lots of homework." I said to both of them before turning around. I had to get out of the room before my mother arrived. I had already had my fill of social interaction today.

I shut my bedroom door behind myself, and leaned up against it. Today had been harder than most. I was having a more difficult time telling the living from the dead. David had caught me in the library while I was talking to an old lady who I thought was our librarian. Come to find out she had passed away last week. Awkwardly I had to play it off as practice for a drama audition for the civic theater in Marshall.

Stepping away from the door I climbed up onto my loft bed, one that was made out the old bunk bed Gabe and I used to share from when we couldn't even be ten feet from each other. Time had changed so much.