Chapter 21

Peyton's POV

When I got home from school yesterday, all I could think about was Sawyer's mood change. He was putting his wall back up all day. At school he kept to himself and blocked everyone out. He drove me home, but in silence. I tried asking him what was wrong different times, but he shot me down with silence.

Today was the day of the dance, Rein and I plan on going to get our hair and nails done and then head back to my house to do our makeup. She's always has been really good at makeup. Makeup was just something I never got interested in. But I admire people who can do wonders with a brush.

I just got done taking a shower and putting on my clothes. I wore a button up flannel so it would be easy to take off and not mess up my hair in the process, with some skinny jeans and white converse. I let my hair air dry since I was getting it done anyway. I called Rein to let her know I was leaving and headed out the door.

I pulled up to Rein's house and honked my horn. She came out a couple minutes later wearing almost the same outfit as me.

"Looks like we had the same idea," I giggled as she climbed into my car.

She looked me over and rolled her eyes, "Oh my lord," she let out a little laugh. "I can't believe we did this,"

"You love it," I teased, knowing she hates friends/couples that match on purpose.

She looked at me with a straight face, "I'm going inside to change,"

I quickly grabbed her arm to stop her from leaving, "I was kidding," I couldn't help but laugh at her. "We don't have time for that anyways. Our appointment is in 30 minutes and our ride is around 20,"

"Fine," She sat back in her seat and buckled up.

I drove on into town with the radio blaring The Weeknd. One of my favorite artists. I was jamming out to 'Die For You' until Rein turned down the radio with a confused yet serious look on her face.

"I know you probably don't want me to meddle," She turned her whole body to face me. "Are you and Sawyer okay?"

I should've seen this coming. I know how she is, she's blunt and observant. She saw how Sawyer was acting. I bet even Elijah saw the change of mood. "Yea, he's just peachy," l lied. Hoping she wouldn't push me any farther. But if Rein is the person I came to know, she wouldn't let it slide.

"Don't fucking lie, Peyton," she rolled her eyes, while they still held sympathy. One of the thing I hate people having for me. "I saw how he acted when I brought up the dance tonight. Is he going? Is he going to take you? Don't tell me that fucker is making you go by yourself,"

I saw her starting to get mad, "I don't know," I blurted. "I don't know," I was holding back tears at this point. I hate letting people see me cry. I let Sawyer see me cry once and I don't know if could let someone else see me at that low of a point. "He asked me, but I'm beginning to think that was part of his plan from before. Maybe her never planned on going and now just thinks that the dance is off the table. I don't know, Rein. It's all confusing," I hit the stirring wheel with my hand, biting back the cry that is aching to break out.

"It's okay to cry," She put her hand on my shoulder trying to comfort me.

I shook my head in response. I'm not letting myself cry over a boy anymore.

"Did you try asking him?"

"I asked him through out the day after lunch. He just blew me off. Not in a mean way, but also mean because he ignored me," I couldn't even make since of it myself.

She was shaking her heading trying to understand, "So he just ignored you when you tried?" I nodded my head. "That rude son of a bitch! He couldn't even be decent about it and just tell you about it later?"