Chapter 24 (Edited)

I took a deep breath and looked at the packhouse that stood before me. I could see both Frank and Cami standing on top of the steps. Both stood close to each other, but I could see that there was a small frown Frank's face. There was still some unrest between them, and I was sure that it was because I wasn't back yet. "I-I-"

"Hey," Luke said, feeling me start to panic. He grabbed my face and pulled my gaze away from them. Worry and love shined bright in his eyes as he moved a hand through my hair, trying to stop me from panicking. "You will be all right," he said, softly. "Those that want to go do something against you, will have to go through me." He growled possessively, his eyes flashing to those of his Wolf.

I shook my head as much as I could and flicked my eyes closed, because I wasn't able to look away from him. Sparks went up and down my spine as he clutched my chin. "I will not let you stand in the way of a fight," I said. I took a deep breath and sighed. "I don't want you hurt." 'Not because of me,' I added silently.

"But this is-"

"Don't, Lucas," I said, interrupting him. I didn't back down when he growled out a warning, not even caring that he was trying to show dominance over me. "I know what I am doing. It's not like I hadn't faced a pack of angry Wolves before." I moved a hand through my hair and huffed, knowing that I had to explain to him what I meant. "I was seventeen, and this pack was treating its members wrong. I got the members out and was coming back for a Pup when I was ambushed," I explained. "The Alpha was making them fight me as well as treat the pack members unfairly."

Lucas growled, narrowing his eyes. Anger and disgust filled his eyes as he took his hand off of my chin and placed them both on the steering wheel. He stared straight ahead, glaring at something. "I hate it when Alphas treat their pack like shit," he said. He clenched the steering wheel and took a deep breath. "They should not be Alphas."

"Trust me, if I can stop them from being Alphas, then I would," I said. "There are some boundaries that I can not cross, and just shooting an Alpha in the head is something that I can not do without valid reason to."

"Valid reason includes..."

I smirked and looked at my mate. "Doing something that you aren't supposed to be doing," I replied before I opened the door of the truck. I knew that I was going to have to talk in front of everyone, and I had no idea how they were going to perceive me.

I just hoped that they would realize that I was with them and not against them. If they did, then it would make my life a hell of a lot easier because I would have a pack that was considered one of the top ones leading with me.

***

Warm, motherly arms wrapped themselves around me as I got out of the truck. "I am so, so sorry," sobbed the female that was clutching me. She ignored when I stiffened a bit, knowing that I wasn't used to this type of affection.

I smelt the scent and relaxed a little when I smelled that it was just Cami. I hugged her back and buried my face in the crook of her neck and shoulder, taking in her calming scent. "It's not your fault," I mumbled, knowing that she would be able to hear my words. "You were wanting to protect your Pups from what you had perceived as a potential threat."

"But, I caused you and Anna t-to leave," Cami said. "I-i-if-"

"It isn't your fault," I said, again, interrupting her. I rubbed my hand up and down her back, trying to sooth her. "I would've left even if you had tried to stop the whole pack from trying to attack and kill me. Luke and I made up, and..."

"And, will I have grandchildren anytime soon?" Cami teased, releasing me. She moved to her mate and leaned against him, both of them looking happy with the fact that they were touching. An excited smile was on her face, and I could tell that she wanted grandchildren to spoil.

"Not until after the war, Mom," Luke said. He pulled me to his side, causing Hunter to mutter something about being clingy. "I haven't even marked her yet."

'And, he will not bite our neck anytime soon,' Hunter muttered. 'If he dos, then-'

'Then nothing, because he is our, well my, mate,' I replied. 'Stop being so pred-'

'Well, I'm so-rry. It's not my fault that I do not trust Wolves they-'

'Rogues, lead by Alistaire killed you,' I interrupted, and I could tell that she was pissed for me interrupting her. 'Clearly these Wolves do not work for him.'

'They could,' Hunter muttered, finally leaving me alone.

"Avery," Luke's worried voice sounded through the talking, also. He studied me, his mouth was open a bit and his brows furrowed. Fear and relief filled his eyes as he saw that I was paying attention him. "Are you alright?" he asked.

I nodded, not knowing if I should tell them that I had the first Hunter living in my brain. "Ya, just thinking," I said. "What were we talking about?"

"We were wondering if you were ready," Cmai said, giving me a knowing look. "Everyone is in the meeting room. Your Hunter friends are there, also."

I took a deep breath and nodded. "Ya, I think so," I said, knowing that I would have to face the music. Dread filled my stomach, and I couldn't understand why. But, I knew that something was going to happen, something that I would not like.