Chapter 27- Luke (Edited)

I stood in front of a mass of people, all looking up to me. A couple of days have passed from the conversation with the doctor, and nothing has changed with my mate. Well, some things have changed.

Markings have appeared on her skin, emblems of past Hunters that never lived to see their eighteenth birthdays. Power rituals littered her skin, and I didn't understand the language. And, when I asked Sil, she didn't say a word at what it meant.

All she did was say 'bless the Goddess' and left to inform whomever what it meant. I could feel the excitement coming off of her in waves, and I could tell that it meant something good.

However, it irked me that she didn't tell me, but a part of me understood. It was a language that I shouldn't learn, a language that was forbidden for Werewolves to learn in fear that they use it for evil.

I cleared my throat, causing the whispers among the groups to die down. I was surprised that they were all intermingled, and I knew that that was Avery's doing. "I want to thank you all for coming," I said, my voice level and strong. "I have no idea how Avery had done it, seeing that most of our species do not get along with each other."

I looked around, causing them to nod their heads. "I do not know what is wrong with Avery nor when the group will attack us. All I know is that the day is getting closer." I paused and took a deep breath. "It could happen today, tomorrow, or a week from now."

"I wish Avery was here to see this intermingling between the species. She had told me once that what Hunter had not done correctly was strengthen the bonds between the Supernatural Creatures when Alastair had first attacked. She said the hatred that was fueled by him killing her parents lead to the hatred of all, even those that did not do anything to her."

I paused and looked around, clearing my throat. My throat was tight because I knew that I was going to have to say something that showed she was different than Hunter. I could tell that most were willing to put her life on the life for us, but I knew that many had doubts that this was a trap. "Recently, I had discovered that Avery had been raped by a Rogue Werewolf." There were multiple growls of anger, and I was proud to see that most came from my pack. "Unlike Hunter, she didn't blame all of the species because of that one incident." I looked at Sil. "I think there were other incidents that had almost pushed her?" I asked, causing her to nod her head grimly. "But they didn't. She cares about children, about the innocent people that she comes in contact with. She knows that it isn't their fault, even though she bottles her emotion up and hides her heart."

I took a deep, shuddering breath. "I know that most of you have already said that you would, but I want to make sure that you are still true to your word. Are you with Avery, my mate, and Luna and the incarnation of the Hunter, to fight this evil upon us, or are you wanting to leave and go back to the life that you had known? I and my mate will understand if you leave, and you will not be considered cowards. I know that you have families that you need to take care, some babies having been born not long ago." I looked at Nick when I said that. I wasn't surprised to see him look so tired because I knew that this was hurting him just as much as me.

"My pack and I had made a promise that we would help her," Nick said, his voice calm and firm. "There is no going back on our word. Like you, I have offered them the chance to leave, and they didn't take it. Most of us have been offered the chance multiple times in the past, and each time we stay put. We are all fighters, Alpha, and we swore to protect the innocent and those that cannot protect themselves."

There were roars of agreement as soon as Nick has finished speaking. All of them wanted to fight and had been given multiple chances to leave. They knew that there was a chance that they wouldn't make it, but if their family lived on, then they would die in peace. Each one had a position in the pack, and I couldn't help but be proud to see that they were willing to do this.

The door slammed open, causing the cheering to stop and turn towards the person. The anxiety and fear that came off of the person were stifling. "Alpha," the voice said, causing everyone to stop and look at him. The male cleared his throat. "They are attacking. It is time."