21. Dragon and Ghost

She trusted her mind when it though it recognized the woman in front of her, although she couldn't put her finger on it. She put all her weight on her left leg, relaxing her right one as she leaned against the front door for some extra support.

"You're Emma Swan right?" The woman asked, clutching a file to her chest as if it contained confidential information that wasn't meant for her eyes.

"Yeah," She breathed so quietly you could've easily mistaken her whisper as the wind. She knew she had seen the woman before, but she didn't know where and it was annoying her a little bit too much. "Who are you?" She asked more confidential than she actually was. She wasn't a woman that feared a lot, but with everything she had been through, she had developed certain fears.

"You probably don't recognize me." She laughed, glancing down to the floor. "I'm Jennifer, the doctor who treated Killian." By the tone of her voice and the clearly visible hesitation in her mossy green eyes Emma knew she still needed to finish that sentence. Jen was fidgeting with the necklace that was hanging around her neck. It seemed oddly familiar to Emma, but she had no idea where, again. "I'm your sister." And suddenly everything seemed so logic.

She became lightheaded and had to grip the doorknob firmly in order to remain standing. She closed her eyes to help herself concentrate on her thoughts, to clear her mind, but it only raised more dizziness and confusion.

She didn't know how to react to it. It was like something was blocked in her brain. Probably because Jen had just touched a string, a string named family. Something she had never had, not until Killian walked into her life.

"My sister?" She questioned the idea still kind of frightening her. She was still too scared to look Jen in the eye, afraid she might now be enough for her.

"Look," She stepped closer, evading Emma's personal space, which she would've preferred to keep. "I really want to explain it," She lifted Emma her chin up and their similar eyes connected in a way that proved to be magical. "But only if you want to."

It took all the strength she possessed to stop herself from pulling away and perhaps hurting her sister unintentionally. She was crying and hated it. She wanted to raise her hand and wipe away a few fallen tears, but that would raise even more suspicion than the tears itself.

"Yeah of course, come in." She turned around, grabbing the opportunity to wipe away her tears and hopefully fix her appearance.

She shut off the television and threw the remotes on the saloon table and gestured for Jen to sit down.

"Do you want something to drink?" Emma asked, awkwardly rolling up her sleeves.

"Hot cocoa, please." She smiled. Emma nodded before disappearing into the kitchen. Jen entertained herself by looking around the living room. Her lips curled into a smile when she saw serval pictures of Killian and Emma.

"Here you go." Emma said, setting two cups filled with hot cocoa on the saloon table. The sound startled Jen slightly and she drew her eyes away from the photos.

"Thank you." Jen grabbed the cup as Emma sat down on the other end of the sofa, not sure how much distance to leave between them.

Emma took a quick sip of her cocoa as she looked back up she saw Jen staring at her cocoa, or more specifically, the cinnamon scattered across the liquid.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." She went to grab the cup as she was blushing heavily within a matter of seconds, but Jen stopped her just in time.

"It's okay," She smiled as Emma slowly sat back down. "I actually like it better this way." The mood was clearly tensed, despite both their attempts to lighten it up. Why it was uncomfortably awkward was unclear and both were despairingly trying to figure out the reason.