40. Bye, Bye, Baby

EMMA'S POV

"Killian!" I yelled, my feet pounding on the planks as I bolted across our wooden bedroom floor. A million thoughts were running through my mind, but I didn't have any time to accept them, let alone overthink them. All of them were about the same topic and they all had the same outcome, a horrifying one.

"Swan?! What's wrong?!" He asked, his usual anxious facial expression plastered across his face. He was still wearing his boxers - the outfit he preferred to sleep in - as he seized my elbows, his grip on them firm, serving as something I could rely on whilst my muscles felt too stiff due to the bedrest to keep me standing. The dreadful news that I had just received wasn't much of a help either.

"Get Alex and put her in the car, okay?" I told him, my voice strict and lips trembling as I got the message across. My head was spinning, although I couldn't tell whether it was due to my anxiety or my low blood pressure in addition to the sudden movement I had made to crawl out of bed. "We have to go to the hospital," I was panting, probably heavier than I ever had. I couldn't look him in the eye - it would've helped to get him to act faster, but I couldn't. I felt too guilty, entirely convinced this was all my fault. I was a doctor, I should've known. "Right now!" I added when he was still glued to the floor, my voice louder and harsher than I had intended.

"Emma-" He was utterly confused. I didn't need to be his soulmate to detect that, but that appellation did make it more painful for me. It changed everything. Our goodbyes were sadder, meetings were more joyful and we enjoyed each other's company more than anyone else's.

"Now, Killian!" I yelled at him, my forest finally meeting his ocean as we indirectly connected through our glances. The desperate look that had filled my eyes must've startled him because he shoved me back to the bed and set me down, our eyes never breaking the contact between them. He offered me some comfort by planting a kiss on my forehead. It was a minor gesture, but, for me, it was one of the most soothing things he did.

"You get dressed, while I go fetch our little girl, okay?" He proposed. I gave him a small nod; the emotional atmosphere surrounding us whilst it consumed our minds like a clingy lover prevented me from speaking. I tried to provide him with an answer, opening my mouth, ready to let the words slip past them, but the words never came.

----------

I stepped outside, barely remembering to lock the door behind me. I was immediately greeted with a cold breeze, blowing through my curls and along my face, leaving my
tear-stained cheeks ice-cold. As I approached our truck I tried to wipe away my tears while I texted my sister, asking her to take her of our dogs a bit longer (they were supposed to come home today) but I never got the chance to send it. I looked up for one moment - a thing I regularly did when I was thinking about a message or reply - and saw Killian struggling with our daughter. The distance between us couldn't hide the shaking of his hands or his tears-filled eyes. It broke my aching heart.

He hadn't a clue what was happening, yet he still did everything I asked him to, trusted me. When I had reached him, I took his hands in mine, the trembling slowly subsiding as he lowered his gaze to mine. I positioned both my hands on his cheeks, tracing small patterns on his soft lips, allowing him to calm down before I buckled our daughter up in the backseat.

When I finished I walked over to the driver's seat, my pace quickened. He lifted his eyebrow at me, "Love, let me drive." He said, his voice solemn and sincere. I had contemplated to tell him on the way to the hospital and I was certain he would crash the car if he would be driving then.

"Thank you, really, but I can't have you driving when I tell you the news, you'd probably crash the car." My statement scared him. Killian was scarcely frightened of anything - unless it involved his family - but the fear that was clouding his eyes begged to differ. I wasn't a melodramatic person and neither was he, but that information more emotional then I had ever seen him, although he attempted to hide it, I could still see it clearly.