Chapter 1: The Beginning

Before I get into this there is something that I need to explain, this story is sort of like an AU of my other fan fiction Broken Beginnings and Rogue Runner.  This story is not connected to them in any other way aside from the fact that Alexa features in all of these stories and while her back story is the same her role in this story will not affect her role in Rogue Runner.  In fact the universes will be quite different.  I'm sorry if this confuses anyone and I hope you like the story!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maya POV

I am walking through the streets of Mos Eisley on Tatooine. It's late in the morning, almost mid day to be honest, and the twins suns are high in the sky which of course means that being outside for too long might cause a person to fry. Yet the streets were bustling as usual, it's almost always crowded here, all of the movement and scuffling cause the sand and dust that covers the ground to take to the air, which is why this place is practically always dusty.

As I glanced around the market place I noticed the usual groups of people, mums and their kids, men that come for no other reason that to talk to the lady shopkeepers and of course slaves and their masters. Those slaves who weren't with anyone are no doubt here getting items that their Masters have ordered them to get. I cringed as screams hit my ears, turning I saw several slaves being whipped by their masters, shaking my head I looked away.

Why are people treated so badly? Slavery is just cruel!

With that thought I continued walking. Indeed having lived on a dust ball that is tattooine for roughly four years I know how the dynamics of society work here. There's pyramids, or a hierarchy if you will, with the hutt's, who are famous crime lords known for smuggling spice, gambling and owning plenty of Slaves, on top and the street urchins and peasant on the bottom. You might have guessed by now that I am an urchin or as most people call us, a street rat. It's not a great life, but it suits me fine just the same.

As I moved past the shops and stalls that lined the streets, I couldn't help noticing a rather large kart full of fruit. I felt my stomach growl as I walked past, giving in my hunger I casually glanced around to make sure that no one was watching and snatched two of them unfortunately someone must have seen when I got greedy and grabbed a third.

"Thief! Thief!" The shopkeeper shrieked and I bolted.

I clutched the fruit close to my chest and kept my head down And I raced through the streets before disappearing in the crowd. I kept my pace at a speed walk so that while I wasn't running and causing a scene I was still moving quickly. That was until I smashed into someone.

"Ouch."  I glanced up at the person I had bumped into, however my eyes shot up and breath caught in my throat as he turned around.  Oh no. It can't be him. Out of everyone in the galaxy why did I have to bump into him?  "Skywalker?" I asked observing the tall brunette man as he looked down at me.

"You...You're Dooku's apprentice."  I shot him a glare and crossed my arms impatiently.

"I have a name you know, it's Maya."

"Right. Good to know, kid."  He replied rolling his eyes.

"What are you doing here anyway, Skywalker? This isn't exactly a place I'd expect to find you."

"I could ask you the same question. All the same, I'm assuming Dooku is here with you or at least somewhere nearby. What's he up to?" He asked narrowing his electric blue eyes.

"Actually Skywalker, Dooku isn't here."

"Well I doubted he would be in a market, so where on the planet is he?" I growled and shook my head.