Loss

Just a short first chapter to get started. Hope you all enjoy xx

"It's been six months Sam," she uttered, pulling her coat more tightly around her chest as the rain poured down. She couldn't help the tears that rolled down her face as she ran her hand over the photograph of them together on his gravestone.

"I still can't forgive you for leaving us... I thought we'd have time to say goodbye... I thought..." She exhaled, her breathe catching in her chest, "I thought that you would somehow beat the cancer again... Not end up in a car accident..."

She watched as a rainbow tracked across the sky, the rain slowing as the sun moved from behind the clouds.

"You'd be so proud of Grace," she told him gently, "she looks after Hollie just how you wanted... And she looks after me too..."

"Mum," A young voice yelled, and as she looked up, she wiped the tears from her cheeks, embracing her daughter firmly,

"Sweetheart?" She asked, taking off her own scarf and wrapping it around her daughter,

"Schools closed... No heating... You weren't at work, so I asked Jacob to bring me here with you... I hope you don't mind..."

"Jacob?"

"He's in the car... Said he'll drop us home and to take as long as we need."

Connie sat, running her hand through her daughters soft hair as she listened to her telling her dad about her new secondary school.

As the sky begun to turn dark, she remembered Jacob and got up, "say bye to your dad sweetheart," she told her, "Jacobs been waiting for a while."

She smiled as she knocked gently on the drivers window, watching how he opened his eyes and got out the car. Grace got quietly into the back, smiling as she watched her mum and Jacob embrace gently.

"Thank you," she told him gently and he nodded, "it's okay... I hope we didn't disturb you,"

She shook her head, "no... Not at all..."

"How are you?" He asked kindly and she exhaled, "I'm not sure," she admitted,

"I'm free tonight... If you and Gracie want some company... I've found a new risotto recipe that seems a waste to try on my own..."

She smiled, "the poor girl is sick of my terrible cooking... And Hollies at her grandparents tonight..."

"Grace not going?"

Connie looked down, her hair falling across her eyes,

"Con?"

"I think she worries if she leaves me alone Jacob..."

He nodded, "how about I tell her I'll keep you company if she wants to go with her sister..."

"You don't have too..."

He nodded, "I want too..."

"Call me if your sad mum," Grace told Connie quietly, and Connie felt the tears spring to her eyes again,

"Have fun baby... Jacob will keep me company,"

"I'll look after your mum firecracker," he smiled, leaning down to hug her as she cuddled him,

"She's still sad Jacob," she whispered, and Jacob nodded,

"That's normal sweetheart... She loved your dad... And it was a shock... For all of you... But you're being so wonderful looking after her and your sister,"

He gave them some privacy as Connie hugged her daughter, "have a great time with your sister and grandma won't you? Call me if you need me,"

"I'll ring you before bed," Grace told her gently and Connie pushed her daughters hair behind her ear gently,