Puppy love

A knock on the door caused her to look up and she smiled as Grace put down her homework and hugged Jacob,

She watched as Jacob held her daughter gently,

"I've heard you've been very good at looking after your mum,"

Grace nodded, cuddling him again, "we've missed you Jacob,"

"Be gentle Grace," Connie told her, "he's had a lot of stitches,"

"Someone told me you and your sister are getting a puppy..." Jacob smiled, "turns out I'm free this evening if you want help choosing..."

"Can Jacob join us mum?" Grace asked, a smile on her face, and Jacob was taken aback by how much like Connie she looked when she smiled.

"What?" Connie and Grace asked simultaneously,

"You look so much like your mum when you smile firecracker,"

Grace smiled, "good... I want to look like her,"

Connie smiled kindly at the pair of them, "Jacob... are you sure you're up to it?"

He nodded, "I'm allowed home today,"

She nodded, "I must be mad... Sam never let them have a dog and I suddenly seem to have given in..."

She stood up and Grace sat down as she watched how her mum cuddled Jacob gently, "you sure you're okay to come with us?"

"I promise... And besides, I need to meet the new addition to your family,"

She watched as Hollie took Jacobs hand as they walked across the muddy path to the farm.

"I'm sorry Gracie..."

"What for mum?" She asked quietly,

"For hardly being home the last few days I just..."

"Jacob needed company mum," Grace nodded, "I'm glad you didn't leave him on his own..."

"When did you get so grown up sweetheart? Your dad would be so proud of you..."

"I can't believe it's nearly been a year mum..."

Connie nodded, "me neither... He will be cursing me letting you girls get a dog."

"Look how excited Hollie is," Grace smiled, "I can't believe she's six next month,"

"Remember when you cuddled her when she was born and she stopped crying?" Connie asked, "I'll always remember that."

"She's alright for a little sister," she smiled, "my friends say their sisters are annoying... But I love her."

"I'm very glad," Connie nodded.

Connie scooped Hollie onto her lap as the puppies ran around their ankles.

"I love this one," Hollie smiled, leaning forward and scooping up the smallest golden Labrador,

Jacob smiled at Grace as they watched the way the puppy sat on Hollies lap, her tail wagging as Connie stroked the dog gently.

"Gracie... What do you think of this girl?"

Grace sat down beside her mum and her sister as Jacob took a picture of them,

"I think she's perfect," Grace smiled,

"Right Hols... Off my lap," Connie smiled, watching how her five year old daughter picked up the dog again,

"We've chosen this one," Connie smiled and Jacob watched as Hollie handed the dog to Connie.

"So... What do you say about coming to live with us?" Connie asked, running her hand over the dogs soft head, "we promise to look after you," Grace smiled,

"I'd say she looks pretty happy," Jacob smiled, taking the keys of Connie, "I'll drive?"

The puppy snuggled into Connie,

"She looks ever so comfy there with you... She'll need to sit with you on the drive home,"

She raised an eyebrow before nodding, "scratch my car and you're dead Masters," she warned; making Hollie and Grace laugh as the dog yapped quietly.

"Even the dog agrees," Connie laughed.

He smiled as he entered the living room to see the worn out puppy sleeping on Connie's lap,

"She looks worn out," he smiled, "and so are the girls, they're curled up in Graces bed."

He sat beside her, handing her a cup of tea and wrapping his arm gently behind her shoulders.

"I think she'll be good for our family," Connie nodded, "as long as she doesn't eat anything she shouldn't,"

"I don't think she'd dare," Jacob quipped as she rolled her eyes