More drama

She locked the car and ran as fast as her heels to take her over to where Charlie stood with two policemen,

"What's happening Charlie?" She asked, her heart in her mouth when she realised her staff were inside. Jacob was inside.

"Hostage situation," he admitted, "we've got caught in the middle of a gang war,"

He turned to her, "do not go in there..."

Her hands covered her mouth as she heard a gunshot, and the police ran in. She didn't stop to think, and followed them, crying out as she saw Jacob on the floor, blood pouring from his arm,

"Jacob," she screamed, kneeling beside him and shouting orders to any staff that would listen,

"You idiot," she told him, "you promised me you'd be careful..."

"Connie..." He groaned, "it hurts,"

She pressed her lips against his forehead, "this is going to hurt a lot more," she uttered as, with the help of Alicia, she found the affected artery and began to tie it off.

"You're ridiculous," she told him, "why do you always get caught up in things like this,"

He rolled his eyes, and she worked quickly, trying her best to ignore how much pain he was in.

She sighed, pulling off her blood stained gown and placed her hand on the wall beside her, "Jesus Jacob," she cursed, "I want to kill you myself sometimes."

An hour later she sat quietly by his bedside. Her fingertips ran gently up and down his chest and she smiled as his eyes opened,

"Sweet Cheeks," he smiled and she shook her head as her eyes filled with tears, "hey... Hey don't cry... I'm here... With you..."

"I thought I was going to lose you Jacob... And it hurt,"

He ran his hand through her dark hair, "rumour has it you saved my life,"

"Those girls would never have forgiven me if I hadn't,"

She leaned forward and kissed his cheek gently, "I need to pick them up... Will you promise me you'll stay out of trouble,"

He smiled, "I promise."

"I'll come by tomorrow... I've called Emma... her flight lands tomorrow morning so she said she'll head straight here... She's not happy with you,"

He took her hand and squeezed it before, running his hand across her cheek, "thank you,"

She smiled, "you're welcome."

"Jacob," Grace scolded, as he answered the phone,

"Yes firecracker,"

"Mum said you were okay, but I wanted to check..."

He smiled, "thanks to your mum, I'm a bit sore, but also fine,"

"Did mum save you?"

He nodded, "she did... She's a good woman your mother,"

"She's worried about you, if me and Hollie go to grans will you cuddle her tonight?"

He smiled at the gentleness of Connie's daughter, "of course I will."

"So it turns out I couldn't sleep knowing you were in here and alone after being shot," she smiled. She stood in a great t-shirt and a pair of black joggers, yet she still managed to look beautiful.

"Come here... I was thinking about you too,"

"You were?"

He nodded, "Grace told me about Paul... Why didn't you tell me?"

She sat next to his bed, crossing her legs and leaning down so she rested on her elbow, her free hand tracing patterns on his shoulder,

"Because you have other things to worry about, like recovering from that bullet,"

"Where's he going?" He asked and Connie sighed,

"New Zealand... He obviously isn't happy with leading a small team in the UK," she half smiled,

"He asked me and the girls to come with him,"

"I take it you said no?"

She nodded, "all they know is here Jacob... Memories of Sam, you, Charlie, Duffy, their school, their friends..."

"And long distance isn't an option?" He asked watching as she shook her head,

"I won't have the time with work and the girls and I..." She smiled, "it's not the first time we've tried and failed at a relationship..."

"That doesn't mean it doesn't hurt though,"

Her eyes filled with tears, "Hollies going to miss him... She thinks all men that claim to love us disappear and leave..."

"I love you all... You know that and I haven't left,"

"No... But I thought you may have today..." She admitted,

"Come on... Let's cuddle up and forget about today hey?"

She got up a few hours later and he turned so he faced her. She sat on the edge of his bed and he placed his hand on her back,

"I promise I'll be more careful," he told her,

She nodded, "good."

Emma arrived the following morning and observed how comfortable Connie and Jacob looked fast asleep in his small hospital bed.

Charlie laid a hand on her shoulder, "their just really good friends," he told her gently, "I know," Emma nodded, "but I can't help think I'm in the way of something that could be good,"

Charlie smiled, "talk to him... He likes you... No other woman has put up with his friendship with Connie and he speaks highly of you,"

"I'm going to get a coffee," she nodded,

"I'll wake them up," Charlie smiled.

Emma entered, smiling as she saw Jacob sat out in the chair. Connie kissed his cheek and hugged him gently, "no more acts of bravery okay,"

"Promise," he nodded. Connie smiled kindly at Emma,

"I didn't want to leave him alone last night," she admitted,

"I understand," she smiled, "and besides it stopped him getting in anymore trouble."

"You'd tell me if you were more than friends wouldn't you," Charlie asked and Connie accepted the coffee he handed her,

"I love him Charlie... But not like that... As a friend and as a friend to the girls... I like Emma, she's good for him," she smiled.