Changes

"Mum where's Jacob?" Hollie asked, cuddling in beside Connie as she sat on he floor with Togs head resting on her lap. Connie stroked the tired dog gently before she put her free arm around her youngest daughter,

"He's been busy baby,"

Grace sat beside her sister and took a selfie of them, before sending it to Jacob,

"We miss our favourite godfather xx" she sent, and Jacob smiled as he ran his hands over the phone.

He got up and threw on his jacket, picking up the three small bags. Connie rolled her eyes as she heard a knock at the door,

"Jacob," Hollie squealed,

"Couldn't ignore a message from my favourite girls now could I?"

It wasn't long before he joined Connie and Tog on the floor, the girls handing him them a blanket to share,

"We're about to watch the lion king... It's Hollies favourite,"

Connie raised her eyebrow and grace smiled, "okay, and mine too."

"I bought you girls these," he told them, handing them a small bag each, "and I obviously couldn't leave you out,"

"Mum look... This is so pretty," Hollie smiled, "thank you Jacob."

He had bought the girls silver small beaded bracelets with a guardian angel on it. He'd bought Connie silver plated round earrings with a turquoise stone in the centre.

"Thank you," she smiled, "I love this colour,"

"We went to a jewellery shop in Oxfordshire, all the profits are given to charity," he told them and held Grace tightly as she hugged him tightly.

"Blue is mums favourite colour," she whispered and he smiled, "good to know sweetheart."

She hardly saw him over the next few weeks inbetween work and getting Hollie back to her usual routine. She sat in her office, looking up as Jacob entered,

"I need to tell you something," he told her and inwardly she knew it was something that was going to shake their easy relationship.

"Emma asked me to marry her," he told her, "on Valentine's Day..."

She smiled, her eyes lighting up as she caught his gaze,

"Congratulations," she smiled, standing up and standing before him, "I take it you said yes?"

He nodded, "you're good together," she smiled, wrapping her arms around him and holding him tightly,

"Are you free this week? How's Hollie?"

"Back at school," she smiled, "she's not overly happy about it... But she's back to her smiley self..."

"We could take the girls to the theatre? My patient offered me some tickets,"

"The girls will love that."

"Mum," Grace asked a few days later as she slipped in the bed beside Connie, Tog jumping up carefully and laying beside her on the bed.

"You're cheeky Tog... You know I hate hoovering your hair from the beds," Connie smiled, before turning to her daughter, "yes sweetheart?"

"Now Jacobs getting married... Does that mean we will see him less?"

Connie placed her arm around Grace gently, "I doubt it sweetheart,"

"I was hoping you and him would you know... Get together..."

Connie shook her head, "he's my best friend Gracie... A relationship would only complicate things,"

Grace nodded and chose not to say anymore, "okay,"