New tricks

Connie came home a few days later after a busy shift. She looked in the mirror and sighed, running her hand through her hair.

"Even after a double shift you look good sweetcheeks," he smiled, leaning against the door frame and winking at her.

"Jacob," she smiled, "this is a nice surprise..."

"I called the house phone and Grace was insistent I did come over and that I saw Togs new tricks,"

Connie slipped her arms around his waist; "sorry I forgot my phone today,"

"I hope you don't mind me just dropping in,"

She shook her head, "you're always welcome, you know that."

"Mum watch this," Grace smiled and a Connie kept her hold on Jacob as she watched Tog sit, then lay, then follow the command not to eat the treats Hollie placed on her paws.

"Clever girl baby," Connie smiled, lifting the dog, "she's getting heavy," she laughed, "great training girls,"

"We helped Jacob make pizza!" Hollie squealed, "I didn't even know you could make pizza,"

"That's because mum buys it Hol," Grace laughed and Connie rolled her eyes, "your dad hated teaching me how to cook so we had a deal... I wash and clean and he cooked..."

"There's still time to learn," Jacob offered and she rolled her eyes,

"Don't you start,"

"Go on mum... It would be fun," Grace smiled, stroking the tired puppy's head.

"You won't be saying that when you have to eat it,"

They all laughed at Hollies scrunched up face and she pouted, "okay, I'll try."

She found herself watching the way he interacted with Hollie as she sat by Grace, helping her with her homework.

"Mum," Grace rolled her eyes, nudging her, "I can't do this question and the pizza is beeping,"

"Not the pizza, the oven silly," Hollie replied,

"Sorry sweetheart," Connie replied, watching how Jacob entered the kitchen, "right Hollie clear the table... Come on Grace,"

"He looks at you just as much as you look at him," Grace whispered,

"Lay the table Grace Strachan," Connie replied, before getting up and joining Jacob in the kitchen.

She slipped her arms around his waist and he held her tightly. She moved slightly so her nose pressed against his skin and he moved a hand so it ran through her hair, "tough day today wasn't it," he uttered knowingly and she nodded,

"It was... But coming home to the girls and you, has almost allowed me to forget all about it,"

"Just so you know Con... I'm here because I want to be... Not because I promised Sam id look after you,"

She looked up at him, and lifted her head so her eyes met his,

She rested her head onto his chest as the girls shouting for dinner.

"What took you so long?" Hollie asked and Connie laughed,

"Calm down madam... You're very loud today,"

Grace put her arm around her sister and smiled at her mum, "eat your pizza Hol."