Spark

Something had sparked inside of her that morning and as he took hers and Hollies hand as they skated she felt overwhelmed with feelings for the man she'd denied herself for so long.

He ushered them off the ice and she excused herself and headed for the bathroom.

"What are you doing?" She uttered, "he's not Sam," she sighed, she knew he wasn't Sam, he was nothing like Sam, yet all she wanted was to feel him against her.

He handed her a coffee as they watched the girls and he automatically wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

She looked up at him and he placed his free hand on her neck, kissing her mouth once gently.

She closed her eyes as she rested her head against his chest, concentrating on the sound of his heart beating beneath her ear.

"I'll work this out I promise," he told her quietly and chose not to say a word as he held her more tightly.

She watched as he pulled on his coat that evening, leaning against the work surface and sighing.

"Aren't you staying Jacob?" Grace asked, "Hollie will be disappointed there's no pancakes tomorrow,"

"Not tonight, but I'll see you soon firecracker," he smiled, hugging her, before laughing as Hollie jumped onto his back.

"Ten squats... Then you can go,"

Connie sat and watched them and she sighed, all of a sudden it had been like something within her had shifted and all she wanted was him.

"I'll miss you curled up to me tonight," he told her quietly as the girls went back into the living room. She stayed where she was and he lifted her chin so she looked up at him,

"I want to take you to dinner, I want you in a nice dress and I want to kiss you like you're my girl," he told her,

"Unless you've decided that today was a blip... Although actually even if you have, I still want to take you out."

She wrapped her arms wordlessly around his neck and he held her, "you need to go," she told him as his phone rang again, "let her down gently Jacob,"

He placed one hand on her cheek, his thumb stroking her skin, "you and those girls mean the world to me... You always will... I'll see you at work okay?"

She nodded, holding his hand as he kissed her so gently and tenderly.

"See you tomorrow."

Connie leaned back against the work surface, "have you and Jacob fallen out?" Grace asked and Connie shook her head, "it's just he usually stays the night,"

"It's complicated Grace,"

"I think he likes you mum," Grace told Connie gently,

Connie ran her hands through her hair, "how would you feel if I said I think I like

him too?"

"Dad didn't want you to be alone remember..." Grace nodded, "and neither do I... I like him, he's fun and kind..." She smiled, "I'm glad you like him too... But what about Emma?"

Connie exhaled, "don't worry about that Grace, that's for Jacob to decide,"

"He'd be silly not to pick you mum," Grave told her, "can I sleep in with you tonight?"

"And me," Hollie grinned and Tog yapped from beside her.

"That dog is only sleeping in my room if you girls bring her bed up."

"I'm going to talk to her tomorrow. Despite this guilt, I want nothing more than to be curled up beside you tonight."

She sent him a picture of them all curled up in bed, "I've got these monkeys keeping me company, the girls had a lovely day with you here xx"

She woke to her phone vibrating a few hours later. She managed to get up without waking the girls and Tog followed her downstairs.

"Connie," he spoke quietly, stepping in the house and closing the door.

"What are you doing here?" She asked and he placed his hand on her face, "I can't stop thinking about you..."

He picked her up, placing her on the kitchen work surface, before he smiled as she pulled him too her.

His lips pressed gently against her own, his hands finding hers as he kissed her in the almost darkness.

"Ignoring what happened earlier... I want to take this slow... I want to date you... Before we fall into bed,"

She raised her eyebrow and he laughed, before he kissed her again.

"Come on," she smiled, "the girls are still in my bed,"

He held her hand and lead her up the stairs, watching how she got into bed before joining her a few moments later.

He held her tightly, his hands running through her hair, "I want more than this with you," he told her, "I want us to be more than friends..."

Upon getting no response he realised she was fast asleep. "Typical," he smiled, kissing her forehead, "looks like I'll have to summon the courage to tell you that all over again."