Friendship and relationships

"How did it go?" She asked Jacob who sat onto her couch, rubbing his hands over his eyes.

"That well hey," she laughed, sitting down next to him and leaning against him,

"I think I like her," he nodded, "she's the first woman I've met in a long time who seems normal."

Connie nodded, "good... And you're right, she is pretty normal."

"What are you thinking?" He asked, and she sighed,

"I slept with Paul last night," she told him, "and I stayed at his and enjoyed his company..." She shrugged, "I still feel like I'm cheating on him Jacob,"

He wrapped his arm around her shoulders, "this will all get easier I promise,"

She sighed, "I showed the girls some pictures of us a few days ago and they put them in they're rooms... It's been over a year but I still get that sinking feeling in my stomach when I look at the photographs and realise he's no longer with us,"

He pressed his lips against her forehead, "you're strong," he told her, "you're allowed to feel sad you know,"

She looked up at him, "you must be sick of me moaning the whole time..."

He twisted the bottom of her hair gently, "I'm not sick of anything," he told her, "as I said you're my friend and I would do anything for you and those girls..."

She cuddled into his chest as his hands continued to move through her hair.

"Jacob," Grace and Hollie yelled as they saw him running,

"Hi firecrackers," he smiled, "where's your mum?"

Hollie took his hand and he smiled as Emma joined them,

"Hi," Connie smiled, standing up, "Paul this is Jacob and this is Emma..."

"Emma," Grace smiled, "we haven't seen you in ages,"

"Hi Gracie," she smiled, "you look just like your mum,"

"I'm Hollie," Connie's younger daughter smiled sweetly as she sat down against Paul,

"You're beautiful like your mum too," Emma smiled,

"Don't suppose you fancy joining us?" Paul asked, "we have tons of food here and the girls seem happy to see you,"

Jacob looked at Emma, pleased as she nodded, "I'm starving, you sure you have enough food?" She grinned and Connie smiled.

The six of them had a lovely afternoon. Emma had promised she'd come over with her daughter soon, someone grace had grown up with for a few years.

Connie and Emma hugged and Jacob shook Pauls hand,

"You'll look after them won't you," Jacob asked quietly, as Paul nodded,

"I'm there godfather... Of course I will,"

"And Connie... Be good to her,"

"That's enough," Connie told Jacob, "he's always been good to me and the girls,"

Jacob nodded, before wrapping his arms around her as she wrapped hers around his neck. Their closeness didn't go unnoticed by Emma and Paul, but they easily acted like it had.

As Jacob and Emma left, Connie curled up against Paul as the girls raced round playing football with a few friends from school,

"He thinks he world of you you know," Paul told her, his mouth against her hair.

"Who?" Connie asked, watching as her girls ran happily across the park,

"Jacob," he smiled and she nodded, "I don't think the girls and I would be where we are now if it wasn't for him," she told him honestly.