Stubborn

He laughed as she stubbornly got washed and dressed on her own, before she showed the physios she was safe walking and going up and down stairs in the sling.

"I'd tell you to make sure she takes things easy, but I know that's pointless," the Consultant smiled as he consented to Connie being discharged.

"She'll look after that arm as you've told her, she doesn't want anything delaying her returning to work," Jacob laughed as Connie raised her eyebrows,

"Remind me why I'm marrying you?" She smiled as the Consultant left the room,

"Come on, I thought you wanted to get out of here," he teased. 

A few days later he went to help her tidy the kitchen and she sighed, "Jacob,"

"I'm trying to help you," he told her,

"I know... I get that, but I need to do something,,"

"You need to rest, I can see that arm is hurting you," he told her firmly, 

"I'm sick of resting, I don't need help all the time, I need to be able to dress and do things myself,"

"And you need to look after that arm, it's a huge fracture Connie, it needs to be kept still for the pins to integrate into your bone, otherwise you'll be in this sling even longer than six weeks and..."

"For fuck sake... I'm a surgeon... I know that..." She snapped and she could see the anger in his eyes. 

"You know what, Have it your way," he shouted, throwing down the tea towel and walking upstairs. Minutes later he appeared in his running clothes, "I'm going for a run,"

"Mum..." Hollie asked as she came down stairs to see Connie stood leaning back against fridge.

"Yes Hol?" She asked, holding back the tears,

"Where's Jacob gone? Has he gone for ever?"

Connie shook her head, "no, we had a stupid argument, he'll be back later... Get ready for bed baby."

When she was sure the girls were in bed, she stayed up for a few hours before getting into her own bed, cursing herself for crying until she fell asleep. She heard the door click, and she ignored him as he showered in the spare bathroom, sighing as she heard him go downstairs. She got up, pulling on his jumper over her shorts and walking downstairs. She stood for a few minutes and he sighed, "Con..."

"Who else," she replied quietly, watching him sit up and look at her, "I'm sorry," she told him and all at once all he wanted to do was cuddle her too him. 

"Come here," he offered as she sat beside him, allowing him to pull her into his chest. "You've been drinking," she spoke quietly and he nodded, "I had a few,"

She was dying to ask how much a few meant, before deciding against it and looking up at him, "I didn't mean to snap at you... You had every right to walk out, I'm sorry..."

"I think that may have been the first time we've really argued," he told her and she nodded,

 "I can't say I enjoyed it,"

"I tell you what, I'll keep taking the girls to school and lift things that need two hands, and the rest we can do as we always did,"

She nodded and he pushed her hair behind her ears, "but if you need help with anything else, I want you to ask me okay?"

"Okay," she smiled, her eyes still sparkling with tears, 

"I'm sorry I made you cry sweetcheeks..."

"You have nothing to be sorry for," she told him, "will you come up to bed with me? I don't like the thought of you down here without me,"

"And I don't like the thought of you in that bed alone," he told her kindly. Minutes later he watched her as she slept, he loved her so much it hurt, but he knew she was proud, and he knew  how independent she was. "I love you," he told her, "I will always love you."