10

Jason Taylor

All day long I was in such a good mood nothing could get me down. I finished my home work in record time and even managed to study everything I had planned before lunch was ready. Chase and my mom of course noticed, but whereas Chase confronted me after lunch, mom just kept smiling to herself and never asked me what was going on.

I think she knew inwardly that I was this happy, because of a girl, but I really appreciat it that she does not poke her nose into this matter. Furthermore my mom is aware of the fact that if I really like a girl, I will introduce her to her.

Chase, however, was a whole other thing. After lunch we went outside to throw a football back and forth and he told me everything about his date with Laura yesterday. It sounded like they had a lot of fun and when I asked him, when they would go out together again, he told me today. It was official: my best friend was a goner.

"Are you going to ask her to be your girlfriend today?", I ask him while catching the ball.

Chase shakes his head in denial and answers: "Not yet. I want to wait till next weekend."

I throw the ball to him again and wonder: "Because of our game on friday?"

He catches the ball and nods.

I chuckle and tell him: "I never knew you were so romantic."

"Shut up!", he mutters and throws the ball more powerful in my direction.

However, I still manage to catch it and say: "Honestly, I'm really happy for you!"

Chase smiles gratefully at me and says: "Hopefully we can double date soon!"

I laugh at him and respond: "I appreciate your confidence in me and hope so too, but I think it will take a little bit longer."

Chase nods his head and says: "Once she figures out what a great catch you are, Haley won't leave your side anymore!"

I chuckle again and say: "If I ever have a football career in my future I want you to handle the publicity."

Chase laughs and winks at me: "I'm your biggest fan Jasy boy."

I roll my eyes at his childish behaviour, but have to smirk anyway.

Suddenly Chase sobers and asks: "Will you tell Haley about Dean and Cecilia?"

I sigh loudly and throw the football to him.

"I don't know. I know I should, but I don't want to hurt her anymore than she already is.", I admit.

Chase nods his head in understanding and says: "And you don't want her to think that every boy is like Dean."

I nod my head sheepishly and wonder: "Am I selfish?"

Chase throws the ball back to me and answers: "I don't know. I wouldn't tell her too, so it's easier for you to gain her trust, but once she finds out she will be hurt even more."

"What if I don't tell Haley at first, but I do after I'm positive she's not hung up on Dean anymore?", I suddenly want to know.

"Now that is good!", Chase congratulates me.

We continue our game for a bit longer, but soon Chase has to get ready for his date. I take this opportunity to shower as well and find myself in front of my closet. I frown and think about what to wear. Instantly I have to laugh at my girly thoughts and realize that I never wanted to make an impression this bad on a girl before. Finally I choose to wear jeans and a grey t-shirt.

I meet Chase nervously pacing in circles when I enter the kitchen. He is not wearing his usual jean and t-shirt but a formal looking shirt. Yet another hint that my best friend is already crazy about Laura.