Julia Watching Click

Simon

I can't believe Sophia had a sister, keyword had. As she turned I saw the tears in her eyes. "I'll see you later soph," I call after her.

She nods her head and walks away. I feel so bad, that Sophia had to go through losing family. I know how it feels, so I should've known of all people she doesn't want pity. God, I'm dumb.

I run my hand through my hair and sigh, I've got to get ready for my game.

"Ready for the semi-finals?" Dan asks.

"You bet!" I exclaim, pulling on my pants.

"We are gonna win easily. I don't know how Pine River even made it in." He says. I nod my head in agreement, thinking about soph.

"Hello?" Dan says, snapping me out of my daze.

"Sorry, what?" I say, looking at him.

"I said I think Paul is gonna ask Soph out. They'd make a good couple don't you think?" He questions, looking at me as if gauging my reaction.

"Yeah." No. I say nonchalantly as if it doesn't affect me, but I tense slightly.

"Speaking of Sophia, what did you pull her aside for?" He asks, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively at me.

I can't tell him the truth, that's for Sophia to tell. I roll my eyes at him, "I was just asking if she talked to Julia lately." I say. He seems to accept my answer because he drops the subject.

We get ready and have an hour before the game so we head to warm-ups. As we step outside we are met by the chilly Minnesota air. I see my breath before me and smile, I always loved that. "It's freezing out here," Dan says, cutting through my thoughts.

"Yeah, but what can you expect? We are lucky it hasn't snowed yet." I say, he nods and we keep walking in silenece, except for Dan humming a tune that I recognize as a crappy version of "This Is How We Roll" by Florida Georgia Line. The guy is obsessed with them.

"Hustle up! We've got to get warmed up!" The coach shouts at us when we get to the field. 

----------------------------

As we take the field in the first inning and smile when I see Sophia in the stands.

She came.

"Alright let's go, one, two, three!" Dan shouts, I snap my gaze back to him and nod when he tells me to throw a fastball.

-----------------------------

"Good game," I say repeatedly as we walk through the line shaking hands with the other team.

We won easily, beating them 10-4.

"Good job!" Sophia says when we get out of the line.

"Thanks, not to brag but I did do a good job," I say, brushing imaginary dust off my shoulders.

She rolls her eyes and I smirk at her. She opens her mouth to say something else when Paul cuts her off.

"Hey, Soph! Come here," He yells, gesturing for her to walk over.

She looks back at me and says 'goodbye' while waving and then turns toward Paul. She gives him a hug when he opens his arms. "That was an amazing save..." She continues with a huge smile on her face.

I wish I could make her smile like that.

"Why the sad face?" Dan asks. I didn't even realize I had a frown on my face. I quickly put on a smile.

"Nothing, I was just thinking," I say, shrugging.

He looks unconvinced but doesn't prod further.

We head back to the hotel to rest, we have the championship in two hours.

I decide to take a nap with our hour of free time and doze off listening to "Who Are You When I'm Not Looking" by Blake Shelton.

----------------------------

"Hello son, it's been a while." My dad says, grinning at me.

"Dad? How are you... I thought you were..." I say, looking at him in shock.

"Don't worry about how I'm here, it's good to see you. Would you like to go on a ride?" He asks, gesturing to his car.

I nod my head hesitantly, he doesn't look drunk.

As we hop into the car the sky turns black, I'm sitting in the seats as my dad hits the gas pedal, hard.

"Where are we going?" I ask him, getting concerned at how fast we are going.

"N-nowhere, just s-sit back and relapse." He slurs. When he turns to look at me his eyes are bloodshot, and he has two-day stubble on his chin.

"Dad, are you d-drunk?" I ask.

"N-no of course not, where would 'ja get an idea like hat?" He slurs again, "look I can drove just fine., He says swerving the car.

"Dad stop, p-please." I sob, putting my hand on his shoulder.

"No! I have to get you home!" He shouts making me flinch.

A deer jumps in front of us and he jerks the steering wheel. I feel myself fly forward and see my dad fly out of the windshield. I'm intercepted by the airbags and I blackout

I have a pounding headache and I can hear the EMT calling my name, they're shaking me.

"Simon! Simon!"

My eyes snap awake and I see Dan looking at me with worry in his eyes.
"Are you alright? Of course, you're not, you're crying." He says, face-palming himself.

My hand flies to my face and sure enough, my face is soaked in tears.

"Wanna talk about it?" He asks. I shake my head at him.

"How long was I out?" I ask in a croaky voice.

"Half an hour." He says.

I nod my head and go to the bathroom to clean up. My eyes are puffy red and my face is streaked with tears. I sigh and start to clean up my face so I don't look like Julia watching Click. She cries every time she watches it.

I don't have my nightmares as much as I used to, thank God.

When I look decent, Dan and I head down to the field, he keeps glancing at me worriedly but I act like I don't see.

I go onto the field to warm up for pitching.

"This will be the hardest game we play, so let's give it our all," Coach says before the game.