27th chapter: Taking action

Mia's PoV

The past week had been a terrible one. I had hardly slept always having nightmares and what more and to make matters worse, Heart was nowhere to be seen. Yesterday he had gone to his world to have a talk with his father about everything that was happening around us. Despite not saying it, I knew his thoughts rested on the fact that maybe this was too much for us to handle on our own.

"Mia, how about ya skip next lesson and go to sleep a bit? I'll keep ya company." Judy advised and I smiled at her tiredly.

"Yeah, that may be for the best but you don't have to come. Go to classes and let the teacher know I wasn't feeling too well."

"Are ya sure?"

"Yes, don't worry. Besides, the nurse will be there." I mentioned trying to make Judy give up on the idea of following me.

I knew being alone would only make me a better target but I couldn0t possible bring Judy to the middle of my problems, especially seeing how she had managed to stay away for so long.

"Fine, but as soon as classes ends I'll go pick ya up so wait for me."

"Alright." and waving goodbye we went our separated ways.

When I entered the nurse's office I noticed it was all empty leaving me feeling a bit uncomfortable however I was too tired so I laid in one of the beds and soon drifted off to sleep.

Once again I was enveloped in darkness as my body slowly disappeared with it. Images I could not decipher flashed through my eyes while the words it was my fault, now I have to make it right rang in my ears. Suddenly I caught a glimpse of a strange symbol in the visions I was having. It was flashing with a golden colour and somehow its aspect reminded me of a pair of wings – a strange one but still a pair of wings.

I was thrown out of my sleep drenched in sweat. The image of the wings was deeply engraved onto my mind but strangely as it seemed it didn't give me a bad feeling, instead it somehow left me with a feeling of hope and peace.

After being fully awake I noticed that there was someone sitting on the chair dozing off besides me.

"Reyen?" I called and he suddenly woke up adrift with everything around him.

"W-What?" he exclaimed wiping the drool coming out of his mouth. "Oh, Mia. You woke up."

"I can say the same about you."

"Yeah... I guess I dozed off while watching you." he admitted scratching the back of his head.

"You were watching me?"

"Yes. I mean no. I mean... that came out wrong." embarrassed he tried to explain himself. "I came here to get a band aid and then I saw you sleeping, I thought it was dangerous to let you by yourself so I was standing guard. I must have fallen asleep then."

"Thank you, but you didn't have to."

"Well, I didn't do much anyway." letting out a laugh Reyen mentioned and I smiled.

Reyen's PoV

Mia was sitting in front of me smiling tiredly. The past week, that was the only smile she would show due to the lack of sleep. Seeing her like that only made me want to help her but I didn't know how, I couldn't do a thing while she exhausted herself endangering her life, heck I didn't even want to think about that and then, as if wanting me to bring that up, I recalled what I had read in the book.

"Hey, Mia." I called.

"Yes?"

"You know that you're very precious to me right?" feeling my cheeks getting warmer I asked.