35th chapter: Dawn of a new day

Reyen's PoV

The barrier Mia had previously broken by Maya's command was erected once again at the cost of her life. I couldn't help but cry as I watched everything from afar.

While Richard had tried to stop her I hadn't done anything, not because I wanted it that way but because just like him I couldn't move. Golden dust was raining down on the city and its inhabitants probably to make them forget what had happened but as it fell on me, I didn't feel any change occur within me.

I looked towards the door hoping Jeremy would be okay. Very soon it would be morning and I hoped by that time he would be already awake, but until then, I'd let him sleep through the fights and what more.

My gaze shifted back to Richard. I had never seen him so vulnerable, he was still on the ground crying for Mia. I couldn't blame him, I too was crying however I wasn't going to quit just yet, there was something I could still do.

On the glued pages of the book Silver had given me about the guardian, and which cover had the mark that appeared on Mia's shoulder, I had read about the spell to restore the barrier and ultimately how to recover the sacrifice but only possible if certain circumstances were applied. I was pretty sure what was one those pages wasn't something Richard or even Silver knew about and I certainly not was going to waste such precious information.

"We can save Mia!" I exclaimed and Richard looked at me surprised.

"You still remember her?"

"Why shouldn't I?"

"The golden dust should have wiped your memories." he explained wiping his face. "But you still know her, why?"

"I could say the same to you."

"It doesn't work on things that aren't from this world." getting up Richard explained. "I'm a spirit so I'm not affected but you..."

"I guess my love for her is just that strong!" I chirped in.

"The ring." ignoring my remark, Richard said.

"You mean your father's ring?"

"Yes, it must have protect you."

"Well, good for us then, because like I said, we can save Mia." I let out. "Luckily I haven't forgotten."

"Mia has become the barrier, there's nothing we can do!" lowering his gaze Richard muttered.

"Have a bit faith in me, will you?" patting his should I said. "We'll definitely bring her back!"

Mia's PoV

I was surrounded by darkness, floating in the void, completely deprived of sound and light. It was just like the nightmare I had dreamed about so many times, that scary nightmare that had haunted me for over a year had at least become reality. Like Serenia had foretold, I indeed possessed the ability to foresee the future through my dreams and despite her warning, that I could still change my destiny, this dark void had inevitably become my future, my reality.

The dreams I had had through the year were all referring to this day, my last day. Like in the dream I had on the spirit's world, my body was starting to disappear as it was absorbed by the barrier and thus making me part of it. Still, there was one big difference from my dreams though. While in them I always felt terrified, here I was at peace. I guess it does matter if you do something with your full consent and knowledge. After all, I knew that by creating the barrier, even at the cost of my life, I was helping making the world right again, and it wasn't like I didn't know what would happen to me. Back in the spirit's world, after teaching me the spell, Heart's mother had told me everything including what would happened if I ended up using it. She had said that she didn't want to hide anything and make sure I made a decision knowing exactly what would come of it, and for that, I thanked her.