Seventh

To the one I loved,

There was a part where you said that everyone was their own song, and I have to agree with you on that.

With less than a week left before summer began, I was fixed on reaching those carefree days, my mind pushing away all thoughts that included you, but for some odd reason, you always popped back into my mind. I could've sworn that I never liked anyone else beside the one girl from way back when. It was a strange feeling to have you hovering in my thoughts.

So in that moment, you were the one song that didn't exactly reach the top charts. Even though you weren't as popular among everyone else, you still caught my attention with the beat and the melody.  I couldn't memorize all the lyrics of your song; there was too much about you that I still didn't know.

Perhaps I play a small role in bringing you up a bit, or perhaps it was your other friends who helped you climb the charts a bit more. Either way, if I brought you up in even the slightest way possible, I'm glad that I did. And if I hurt you in more ways than help you, I want to apologize because you were one of the highlights of my year.

As you already said, no one can really compare others to a song, and of course, it wouldn't be fair to place you in this comparison.

I wanted to keep things simple, but look where where we are now. People say that when we look back upon our old memories, we'll just laugh about, but if this is your song, I could never laugh about this because those feelings don't fade in a song like yours.

I know I'll sound repetitive, but sometimes that's what make a song more appealing. If you've moved on, I'll accept that, but I wish I would have caught on to things sooner. I wish I could have noticed you and your cute quirks here and there. It's hard seeing you move to the rhythm of a different song. I wish I could follow you along on that song, but now you're moving at such a faster rate, and I can't keep up.

Maybe time will slow down, and I'll be able to find out what songs kept you moving all this time, what helped you power through the day when I couldn't have been there. No matter how many different and new songs are released each year, each decade, I will always remember every word and every note to your song, the song that made me realize what I had lost.

Forever and always,

The one who placed your song at the top of the charts