Epiloge

6 years ago:

Callie's POV:

I was about to play for my basketball team, the Pelicans. God,I hate that name! Jude and Sarah,my brother and sister, were in the stands. Jude was six and Sarah was nine. My parents hadn't shown up yet,it was weird. I mean, my parents hate waiting for these games,they only came to make us look like a real good family.My parents were always on their bluetooths,caring more about work than they're own kids- but they weren't there.I had another period until our game started, so I went outside and checked.I saw Liam.He is a family friend that I had always liked,until a few months ago. He is 15 and he....ya know.I didn't want it.My siblings knew but our parents never believed us.I walked outside and told him to leave."Leave now."I spit at him. He laughed and pushed me to the wall.I scraped my cheek and part of my back.I pushed him off of me.He kicked me in my leg and I went down.My arm and hand skidded,leaving blood on the pavement.He knelt down and I stayed and whispered,"I'm well liked here.One scream and your done."He took a step back and turned around slowly.He started to run as it started to drizzle.I pushed myself up and glanced at the window.I saw a person from the other team,Jimmy,a guy in my class, staring. I walked inside,right up to him."You saw nothing."I had my voice a notch more than a whisper,not loud enough for anyone else to hear. He nodded and I walked away.I felt the blood seep through my jersey and shorts.I walked inside and saw weird stares from my teammates. Sarah and Jude walked up to me,worried looks across their faces.Before they had a chance to say anything I reassured them,"I fell.I'm okay.Now watch for mom and dad."I tossed them my phone,"if anybody calls answer it." They solemnly walked back to the bleachers.I hustled over to my team,of all guys,and listened to the coach.My teammate, Justin,mouthed,"What the fuck happened?" I mouthed back,"Nothing.Don't worry about it." I could tell he didn't buy it, but I didn't care.Sarah ran over to me,"Why are those guys staring and pointing at you?" I looked away from my teammates and watched the other team,yes full of guys,giving me stares,whispers, and pointing fingers. I rolled my eyes and shooed her to the bleachers. I was put in first quarter, despite the blood dripping from me, and was told to cover Jimmy. He whispered in my ear before the game started,"dont worry.Your secret's not safe with me." I turned around and punched in the jaw.He was taken back a few steps then pushed me. I tackled him and punched him repeatedly.I felt arms pull me off of him and bring me into the hall."Is this your blood?"Johnny,another teammate, sounded concerned. I walked away.I grabbed my coat and keys off my chair. I slid both on and grabbed Jude and Sarah."Callie."Jude started, but he didn't whisper anything after that.I walked us home, we lived a far distance,this was our school-we played there on the weekends,but we walked home in the rain.Jude went down for a nap and Sarah watched t.v. Both cuddled up close to me.After a few hours we started to walk back to the gym for the last game of the day. I was pretty tall for a kid my age and Jude was pretty light for his.I carried him with one hand, and held Sarah's hand with the other.I walked into the gym, all eyes on me.Jude opened his eyes and jumped down from my arms.My phone was ringing and Sarah handed it to me. "Turn on the news!Now!"the voice barked. "Gina,I can't, I'm at the court."I explained to my best friend. Her voice got weak,"Your-your parents were in a car accident."she hung up and I wasn't mad."Jude, Sarah,"I my voice started to get shaky,I wasn't sad,I was pissed,"we have this one game.Then we go find some family." They gave me puzzled looks, but didn't say a word.I looked at Jude,he had some of my blood on him. "Oh, baby,I'm so sorry.Let me clean you up!"I grabbed them both by the wrists and dragged them to the boys bathroom, not caring what would happen."Hey,Cals!"whined Tyler,another one of my teammates. I rolled my eyes and lifted Jude's shirt.I grabbed paper towel and wiped the blood away.I gave him my jacket,that had been hanging from only my head,and zipped him up.I stuffed his shirts in one of my pockets and we walked out.Sarah had been out of the room for a few minuets. I saw her talking to Gia,the owner of SJAA In-house team,tears filling up. Sarah took a few steps away and shrieked,"That's why Gina called?!"People playing the game watched us. "Sarah",I started,but she ran off.Shane, a person who is 12 and was on my In-house fall soccer team caught her.I ran over to her,Jude's wrist still clutched to my hand,"Thanks."I muttered. She clung to me and sobbed.I held her and Jude,he came into the hug for no reason. "They're just in the hospital, Sare."I soothed."No.Gia is taking us to Child Protective Services,she said our parents are dead."she shook her head.I ran out and punched the wall,busting my knuckles as I did. We went to our first foster home together, but our last one didn't end like that.....