chapter thirty: dangerous mistake

"dangerous mistake"

"dangerous mistake"

underground casino

underground casino

picking up your dad from the bar was always one of your worst nightmares. the idea of being around those men, the leers, the stares—it made your skin crawl. you weren't the type to be easily rattled, but walking into that basement dive where your father wasted his evenings drinking and gambling, you felt your usual confidence slip.

you scampered down the steps, the stench of stale beer and sweat already hitting you when you reached the door. your heart palpitated, but you pushed it aside, squaring your shoulders.

'get in, get him, and get out. don't give them the time of day.' that was your plan every time.

but when you got there, your dad was nowhere to be seen.

the typical crowd of drunk men loitered around, slumped in chairs or hanging by the counter, but not him. you paused by the couch where he usually waited for you. it was empty. your tummy sank.

where the hell was he?

you glanced around, trying to stay calm, but your distress spiked the moment you witnessed one of the pool players stopping his game. he leaned against his cue, snickering, his vision raking over you like you were some kind of prize.

you did your best to ignore him.

"hello there," the man welcomed, his voice slurred, dripping with sleaze."you want a drink?"

"no, thank you," you declined, keeping your tone respectful, even though you wanted to tell him to go fuck himself. stepping back, you tried to keep your distance, but he didn't take the hint.

"oh, come on," he persisted."don't be like that, sweetie. let's have some fun."

"i was just about to leave..."

your instincts screamed as he got uncomfortably near, and you tried to leave, only for your escape to be cut off by one of his friends who emerged from behind. alarm bells went off in your head when you realised you were trapped.