Chapter 40

THE FOREST
THREE HOURS EARLIER

MacKenzie Porter 

     I felt the rush of something fly past me, and I had to bite my tongue to stop myself from screaming as it hit a nearby tree and realized that it was a bullet. They were using actual bullets!

     They didn't care about us anymore, they just knew that we couldn't escape.

     I look over at Sebastian as he says:

     "Go Mack, Run, Climb the fence, GET YOURSELF OUT!"

     "But-" I start but he give me a stern look and I give him a kiss on his cheek and sprint.

     "Seb, GO!" I hear and then feel Sebastian beside me, he grabs my hand and pulls me along.

     "Who?" I ask, not having to finish my sentence, knowing he would know. 

     I turn around to see a figure running towards us, he comes and scoops me up and I look to the face of Dean. 

     He runs me to the fence and throws me halfway up it and all I hear is  an agonized scream. Seb. My mouth forms his name, my heart drops, my stomach backflips, and I turn around, only to realize that it wasn't him who made the agonizing sound, but Dean.

     I see Sebastian beside me and see his face as he sees his friend fall, he goes to jump down, 

     "Seb, go, you can't save all of us... I'm letting you go." Dean says, his face pale and white, his eyes shining with pain.

     "But-" Seb starts,

     "You can't save us all, Black. Go"

     I can see the same pain reflected in Sebastians eyes, that clear feeling you have when someone life changing leaves you forever... I know that feeling all too well.

     Dean slumped down, his eyes fluttered shut. Sebastian sighed, and I saw him make a decision in his head.

     He grabbed my wrist and pulled me into his arms, he flung me over with surprising ease and I landed on the other side of the fence.

     I screamed as I hit the ground, my ankle twisted at a weird angle.

     I waited for what felt like hours but were probably just seconds for Sebastian to appear, and when he did, landing like a cat, I whimpered as he pulled me up, he looked at my leg, and scooped me up, holding my head to his chest. And he ran.

      Jumping over logs, always holding me tight, never letting me go, finally he stopped, and he dove into a tight clump of bushes. He examined my ankle and held me close as I tried hard not to cry. I couldn't cry. Not now, not here, never.

     I heard a thunder of footsteps and was sure they were going to see us, huddled together, my head buried in his collar, smelling him, our hearts so close that they beat the same rhythm:'Seb, Kenz, Seb , Kenz, Seb, Kenz, Seb, Kenz. But they didnt. They just ran past.

     I felt Sebastian chuckle silently. He didnt move, so I didn't move.

     We stayed that way for hours, him holding, me, touching my hair, occasionally kissing on more than one occasion.

     Just as the sun started to poke over the horizon, I heard someone.

     "Uhhh.... Miss?.... Bill here, logging in for the 8:00 log on Porter and Black... umm we cant find them... anywhere"

     "WELL THEN KEEP LOOKING!!!!!!!!!!! THEY CAN'T HAVE MADE IT PAST THE LAKE!!!!!!!!!!! IF THEY AREN'T FOUND AND KILLED BY 11:00, YOU'RE ALL DEAD! NOW KEEP LOOKING!" 

     I heard a sigh, and heard the running of Bill running into the underbrush.