Chapter 38

ESCAPE

Lizzy

     I tried hard, very hard, not to squeal as I walked in. Everything was so pink, and gold, and sparkly!!!

     I looked around for Rickson, but I didn't see him anywhere. For once I was not tempted to dash out to the dance floor... Not alone anyway.

     A hand lightly tapped the back of my neck.

     I swiveled to see Rickson standing there, smiling. My face turned bright red and I looked down.

     He took my hand and led me onto the dance floor, turning ever so slightly with the music.

     My heart was trembling. I took a deep breath and met his eyes. He smiled slowly and I wrapped my arms around his neck, driving my face into his collarbone.

     A cut in the music made me look up.

     My mother was standing on the platform, holding a microphone.

     "Ladies and gentlemen. I welcome you to the 5th year anniversary of the Passerine academy opening!" I saw a few people clapping, but heard a smattering of applause.

She probably has a clap reel.

     Suddenly the lights flickered out, and I heard the surprised whisper of my mother, "Jerald! What's going on? Jerald!" I grabbed Ricksons waist and pulled him close.

     "It's okay," He murmured, stroking my back.

     A slow clap sounded from the back of the room. "Bravo, Eursila." The lights flickered on, and my mom's face paled.

     A familiar salt and pepper haired man stood at the back.

     A memory flashed through my mind. It was years ago, and I was only 7.

     My mother was screaming at her computer. I looked and saw a halk-eyed salt and pepper gotee and haired man.

     "Mommy? Who's that?" I asked.

     "Oh, sweetie, is nobody, go on and play."

     I was pulled back from the memory.

     "Who is that? "He asked, alarmed.

     "Trouble." I whispered.

     "Danté," She said stiffly.

     "How kind of you to join us."

     Danté ignored her, walking up to the stage slowly.

     His voice didn't need a microphone, it carried naturally through the entire hall.  "Young people. I mean to cause no harm. I just have an offer for you.  You can stay," His guards moved forward. "Or, you can leave this pathetic fool of a person, and come with me."

     Confused murmurs rose from the crowds.

     "You see, children. What I'm offering you is freedom. Something that this woman has never offered."

     "What about the graduates?" Someone called.

     "You think they found happiness? You think that they got to see their families again? They didn't survive one minute out there, and neither will you!" I stiffened.

     "Sure it's all fun and games in here, but out there..." He shook his head.

     "So," He says smoothly, "What's your choice?" No one moved. Danté sighed.

     "I was afraid it would come to that." He said as we were pitched into darkness.

✴✴✴

Sebastian Black

     We dumped our ball outfits under the willow tree, where I had stored our bags the night before.

     "Mack." I said, startling her. "If... if anythyou're goes wrong... anything at all... I- I need you to... to get yourself out." She looked at me startled. I took her hands.

     "Promise?"

     She looked up at me, confused.

     "Why would anything go wrong?
Nobody knows we're escaping. Not even Lizzy."

     I grip her arms. "Promise?"

     Mack rolled her eyes, wrapping her arms around my neck. "Okay, okay, promise!"

     "Then let's go." I said.