19

Colson

Jane decided to drive to Nashville instead of flying. She said if would help clear her head. I managed to talk her into taking my Range Rover since her Jeep was still in the shop. I was against but she said she'd let Ben drive. Yeah, that's right Ben's going instead of Mike. Mike's wife went into labor unexpectedly so he went to be with her. I didn't like that Ben was going but at least she had someone to look out for her. 

"Daddy, I wish you were coming with us." Casie said

"Me too but you know what maybe next time." I said ruffling her hair.

"Ok, do you think Gunner will be back by the time we come back?" She asked as she slapped my hand.

Jane and I didn't have the heart to tell her the truth about Gunner. The day after he ran off, I woke up to go get the mail and stuffed in our mailbox was one of Gunner's ears. It had a note with it.

Sorry about poor ol Gunner. This wouldn't have happened if you would've just walked away when I asked. One last chance. See ya soon 💋

"I hope so. In the mean time you take care of mom for me and call me if you need anything." I stated

"Ok daddy, I love you." She said

"I love you too. Be safe." I said as I closed her car door.

I walked up to the passenger side window to speak to Jane.

"I love you, call me as soon as you get inside." I said

"I will." She said

And I turned to walk off.

"Colson!" She said

I turned back around and she said."I love you too."

I just smiled and walked back into the house to get some rest before we left for our flight in a few hours. My pocket started buzzing and I took it out to see that my mom was calling. She had been calling off and on for a few weeks now but with everything that's been going on I just hadn't made time to talk to her. We've grown closer since the last time I saw her in Texas and she was making plans to come up and stay for a week or so after Jane gives birth.

"Hello." I said into the phone

"Its a miracle! My son actually answered the phone for once." She said sarcastically.

"Yeah I've just had a lot going on and I've been pretty overwhelmed." I trailed off.

"Are you ok? Is Jane ok? The grandchildren are they.." I cut her off

"Yes mom we're all ok." I replied

"Then what's been going on? Are you being tempted to use again?" She asked

"No, its not that." I half lied

"Well what is it? Talk to me." She said

"No, your just gonna start talking like a shrink." I replied

"No I won't. I promise. I got my mom ears on and my psychiatrists brain off." She chimed

"Ok." I sighed as I gave in.

I told her everything that had happened. I told her about crazy ass Gina. Her possible grandson Alex. Jane's jeep getting destroyed.  About  how we had to hire a security team. And how Jane and Casie went to Nashville to get away. All of it, minus the whole kidnapped and murdered dog thing.

She reassured me that everything would be ok. I just needed to be supportive of Jane's decision and that maybe the whole Gina thing would die down till the police could locate her. I really hoped she was right but I couldn't help but to get this bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Jane

I'm glad Casie and I could get away for a while. I know it's gonna kinda be weird without Colson here with us. Casie isn't use to travling without him. I'm just glad he actually let us go without him. That crazy bitch Gina was becoming too much for me. The fact that she had kidnapped our dog and then sent us one of his ears was enough for me.

She was proving to a very violent and deranged woman. I couldn't understand how it could be so hard for the police to find her. After she sent us Gunner's ear we reported it to the police and they started patrolling the neighborhood hoping they would catcher her.

Colson said we could no longer rely on the police and our guards. At first he considered moving but we were told that Gina would probably find us again. So he set up a meeting with a privately owned security company. As soon as we get home they will be installing a state of the art security system, surveillance camera's and a security gate that would surround our property.

Its ridiculous that we had to jump to such extreme measures but I'm almost 7 months pregnant and the twins and Casie are our top priority. Gina has been close enough to do unthinkable things to us. I couldn't let her do anymore damage than she already has. Like right now I know Colson is trying his hardest to find another dog that looks just like Gunner so that Casie doesn't find out what happened to the real Gunner.

I told him its a bad idea and that we should just let Casie think he ran away. Then later after the twins are born we can get Casie a new pet. Of course Colson just wants to protect her from the same heart break he experienced as a kid. I just don't know how he's planning on pulling it off.

Right now I don't even care. I just want to take my mind off of everything. I was looking forward to taking Casie to down town Nashville so that she could experience Music City for the first time. Hopefully, this trip will be just what we need to decompress for a bit before we have to get back to reality.