Chapter 21- I Just Don't Want to Stand Out

*Adrienne's POV*

"Ohmygodohmygodohmygod. No", I quickly pulled away from Royce and my words became jumbled. "We cannot do this."

Royce just sat there for a minute, with a confused look on his face. He was silent for a few minutes. "Adrienne. I don't think you understand what you just did.", he said slowly.

"I...don't know why I did that.", I admitted. ”Im so sorry. Oh my god "

"No...its just...that's the exactly the problem. I actually liked it." He said this carefully like he was stepping on broken glass.

I suddenly realised why he acted so distant towards me. He was trying to keep things professional. "'Cause I'm an employee...", I said.

He nodded. "Yeah. But I don't want things to be awkward, I never did. I guess that's kinda crazy of me to say that now?"

I looked at him for a minute. "Then they won't be. We'll forget that this all happened."

"Yeah...that's exactly what well do."

* * *

I woke up suddenly and I was on a completely opposite side of my bed. I quickly sat up and thought for a minute. Wait...why was my heart racing?

I glanced across the room to notice Royce was looking at me with a concerned expression on his face.

"You're... you're awake?" It was our last day in Puerto Rico and I was surprised he wasn't getting rest.

"Yeah...you woke me up." He didn't sound mad or annoyed...just genuinely concerned.

"I did?"

"Do you have dreams like that a lot?"

Then it hit me. The nightmares I have. That may have sounded stupid, considering I was a grown woman and getting worked up over nightmares but they really weren't a joke. I looked down. "I'm sorry. I just..."

"No, don't apologize. You can't help that.", he said.

I got up to grab a bottle of water. Royce followed me.

"Are you okay? You sounded really panicked in your sleep."

"I...yeah..."

He raised an eyebrow. "You didn't sound like it...I feel like you're hiding a lot of things from the world..."

"Like what?" I turned to look at him.

His eyes widened. "Like...that."

*Prince Royce's POV*

I did not think that Adrienne could get anymore gorgeous.

But then I saw her eyes.

"Do you...?Are those contacts?", I sort of blurted out. 

Her hand flew up to her face. "Oh shit.", she muttered. Then she looked at me again. "No...I know that this may sound stupid but I wear contacts...but brown ones..."

I was so confused. "You wear brown contacts?"

She nodded.

"So, those are your natural eyes?"

She nodded again.

Now, I really didn't understand. I shook my head. "I don't get you at all, Adrienne."

"Sometimes I don't even understand myself..." She said quietly. "I guess...I guess I just don't want to stand out."

"Adrienne, look in a mirror for me. You're going to get noticed. In case you haven't noticed, you're gorgeous."

"Things happen to people who get noticed. That's why I don't like standing out."

"But why?"

She rubbed her arm nervously. "I guess 'cause every guy that I stood out to just wanted to get in my pants."

"Is that why you're so insecure?"

"Standing out gets you unwanted attention, Royce.", she said darkly, not directly answering my questions.

The look on her face just made me sad. I know that was sort of a childish way to explain it but it was the best way to do it. looking at her right then and there made me realize that this girl wasn't just a pretty face. She was a down to earth person and had been through a lot

I was determined to break her out of her shell.

But I couldn't help of I fell for her along the way...but honestly I didn't know if I could fall any harder than I did in these few months since I met her.

❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇

Sorry you guys had to wait for this short, crappy little chapter but I had to split this up into two chapters for the sake of the story. I'm so sorry

Please vote and comment even though I don't deserve it tonight.

love yall