Chapter 40- Corazon Frio

*Third Person POV*

        When Antonio came into work the next day, he knew Adrienne would be there. He knew that Royce was in Miami and she'd be here all day for the rest of the week. He flashed Adrienne a polite smile as he signed in and made his way to the rec room to find Omar.

"Wait, Antonio?"

        It took him a few minutes to realize that Adrienne was actually trying to initiate conversation with him and he could tell from the tone of her voice that she wasn't just looking for a "Hey, how are ya?" small talk type of thing. He turned to face her. "Yeah? Everything okay?" Were they still together? No. But he could still be concerned.

        She looked down for a minute. "Um, I don't want this to sound like a weird question but has Royce like ever complained about me or anything? Seemed unhappy? If you don't wanna answer you don't have to. It's an awkward question, I know."

        Antonio was confused. Royce seemed happy and so did Adrienne. She wasn't planning on breaking up with him, was she? He couldn't understand why. Most of him didn't want to see them break up but he knew there would always be a small piece of him that wanted to try and patch things things up with Adrienne. But that small piece also happened to be the part of him that was an idiot. "No, he's always seemed happy. He always had something good to say about you. Why?" He was completely honest. Never had Royce ever told him that Adrienne made him unhappy. He always talked about her like he was proud.

        She looked slightly confused. "Oh..."

"Is everything okay?", he decided to ask her again.

        She shrugged. "I guess, "

"I don't believe you.", he said, looking her in the eyes. Their relationship may have been short lived but he still knew her well enough to know something was bothering her.

        Omar entered the office and signed in, shooting a confused glance at Antonio and Adrienne. "What's up, you guys?"

"Nothing, Omar. We're just talking.", said Antonio quickly.

        Omar noted the tone of his voice and the fact that Adrienne looked hurt. "Can I talk to you?", he asked, pulling Antonio aside.

"Yeah, sure."

        Omar turned to Adrienne. "We won't take too long."

        Adrienne gave a weak smile in response. She definitely wasn't all there, Omar noticed. She looked tired.

 "What did you do to her? She looks lost.", questioned Omar as soon as they were out of earshot.

        Antonio sighed. "Omar, I'm not gonna sit here and play with her emotions, alright? I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with her myself."

        Omar figured Antonio was telling the truth. "Oh, alright. I'm sorry, man. I'm just looking out for her. That's all."

         Antonio nodded. "And I completely understand why you would ask me like that. You're just making sure. I'm doing the same.You can never be too sure.  She's been hurt way too much in her life, you know. especially considering she's only twenty. But things aren't looking too good right now."

"What do you mean?"

"I think Royce might have something to do with this.", he said slowly.

"You're joking right?", asked Omar. "I mean, you can't be serious. Royce would never hurt her."