Chapter 39- Not So Nice to See You

Today was a Monday, which meant it was a day closer to the release of Royce's mystery single...that i still didn't know anything about.

        Royce and I had just gotten back from one of our "work" days.

"You think you could drop me off to go get Marylin?" Things were getting pretty official between us, but I constantly felt the need to remind him that I did still have a kid.

"Sure, Adrienne. Anything for my girlfriend." I could tell he enjoyed saying that word. He told me he was planning on going public about us and everything. The office knew (Antonio took it well and didn't seem shocked or anything, we made me realize he probably didn't even value our relationship at all. I had moved on  but...) and the only other person I told was Richie, since I figured Royce would be around Marylin a lot.

        My phone vibrated and I looked to see my grandmother was calling.

"Uh, hold on. I gotta take this.", I told Royce, motioning to my phone. I knew this was important because Abuela basically never called me during the day. She was more of a tell you things in person, type of person.

  I went outside to take the call.

"Hello?"

"Adrienne? Are you busy right now?"

"No, not really. I was just about to go pick Marylin up but other than that I'm free. Why? Is something wrong?"

"It's not a life or death situation or anything but it's pretty damn important.", she said. "There's someone who wants to see you."

        I didn't get what she was trying to say. "Who are you talking about?"

        I heard her sigh. "Three years ago...your mother got out of jail...and I know you know that but now, for some reason unknown to me, she wants to see you again."

        My heart dropped. "You can't be serious."

"Adrienne, I know you're probably mad. I would be too. She is my daughter after all but I'm not feeling all too great about this either.

"Mad?", I laughed. "Of course I'm not mad. I'm freaking livid." I felt the need to punch a wall or something. I was frustrated but I wanted to cry.

"I know this is probably the last thing you wanna do right now and I've been putting it off for the longest, I really have, Adrienne. But I can't anymore. I'm not telling you that you have to all of a sudden have to accept her back into your life. I would never ask her to do that. But I think it's for the best . Ven a verla."

        I sighed. "Fine, fine. I'll come." I had a few choice words for my mother anyway.

        I hung up and decided to call Richie. I wasn't gonna be able to pick up Marylin at this point. With my temper, I didn't know what I was gonna say around my mother. I didn't want Marylin to see all that. She didn't even think twice that her grandmother wasn't in her life, I didn't want her seeing that and feeling conflicted afterwords. After I was done explaining things to Richie, he obviously understood completely after being my boyfriend for two years, I went back inside where Royce was patiently waiting.

        He looked concerned when he saw me. "Are you alright?"

        I shook my head. I didn't say anything though because I was scared I'd start crying.

        He brushed some hair away from my face. "What's wrong, Adrienne?"

"My mom.", I managed to say quickly. My vision quickly blurred and my head started hurting as tears threatened to form.