Chapter 18 - Let's Focus On Social Life Now

I sucked in a sharp breath as my ribs began to repair itself with Mercy's wondrous advanced technology.

"Your arm is back to normal, but unfortunately, don't use excess force with this arm, or else it will be pulled out," She assessed me as she gently lifted my arm to put it in a sling.
"Thank you for helping me." I smiled gratefully.

"The doctor is always in!" She joked, her laugh bouncing off the walls, "I'll send you my consultation fee if you ever need it, but you really should take better care of yourself."

"I need healing!" Hanzo called out from the other side of the room.

Mercy sighed before picking up her clipboard, "Sometimes I'm not sure why I even bother." She bid me goodbye before primly walking over.

I eased myself out of the chair, my arm pressed gently against me to stop it from moving too much. I hobbled along the corridor when suddenly, familiar voices began to penetrate my thought bubble.

"-Like her. She's really smart and kind, with a smile that can light up the sky, but she never reveals her feelings, she bottles them up inside, and I just want to help her let go," Genji's voice shot through my ears.

I stopped in my tracks, feeling a twinge of pain in my arm. Was Genji talking about....me? I leaned against the wall as I heard Zinnia's voice rise in the silence.

"Sage does reveal them once you get close enough to her, she's always been cautious about her feelings," She comforted him.

"But what if she doesn't like me? I really like her, ever since the fights I realised how much I cared for her....," He wailed quietly, careful to keep his voice down in case anyone heard him.

"Well, the only way to know if Sage likes you-" I stopped listening, my mind swirling with new facts and possibilities.
I couldn't believe my ears. Genji liked me, a girl who ran away from everything, like the coward she is, a girl who is too afraid to trust anyone? Me? I bolted from my eavesdropping spot, ignoring the protesting twinges that screamed from my arm. I ran to the storage room, and quietly shut the door where I had once crawled onto my knees and sobbed for hours, that was now nothing but a distant memory. I stood facing the storage, my back pressed against the door, sliding down until I was sitting with my knees bent in front of me. I crouched, my lips tugging  at the sides slightly at the thought of someone liking me. I'd never had a guy take interest in me, I've always been too awkward and antisocial for them.

_____________

"So, how was your day?" Zinnia asked brightly as she slid into the seat opposite me, her body leaning across the table, her eyes alight with mischievous curiosity. Her expression didn't crack one bit and reveal the conversation she had with Genji a few days ago.

"Alright. My arm has healed. We have a full on training session after this," I replied, my eyes wandering.

"Mmm," She nodded as she gulped down a large portion of her soup.

I chewed thoughtfully on the tuna sandwich I'd selected for lunch. I was just thinking about Genji when he suddenly slid in beside me, his arm pressing against mine, spreading heat across my body.

"Greetings," He greeted me.

"Oh! Genji, hi," I swallowed my food and took a gulp of water to hide my surprise.

"Has your arm healed yet?" He asked.

I felt a stab of irritation shoot through me at the fact that everyone kept on asking me how I was. "For the last time, I'm fine. My arm is healed!" I sighed, exasperated, as I threw my hands in the air, almost hitting Genji.