Chapter 10

Aaliyah

I left Acacia's before she was even awake, and it was still dark out. I probably only got about 2 hours of sleep total, just because my head was on ten with thoughts of us together. I was feeling like math today was gonna be a little awkward between us. I didn't know how I was supposed to hide all this from my class, and especially Jazmine. She knew everything before I even had a chance to own up to it.

To be honest, I really didn't even want to go. She and I were so different outside of school that I knew that shit was gonna feel forced if we tried to carry out a conversation. But I told her I was gonna go. So I did.

The streets were completely washed out, trashcans fallen over, tree branches hanging by threads onto the rest of the tree... the roads were horrible. It was like a damn obstacle course tryna get home. 

I made it to school early again, but not as early as the day before. Kadeem was already waiting for me at my locker, his jaw grinding and everything. It was the last thing I felt like dealing with.

  "Why you ain't returning my calls, Liyah?" He looked me up and down to assess my outfit, then looked down at his shoes. "And don't tell me you were at Jazmine's. You know I called her ass too."

  "Why you acting like you somebody's father? Move out the way."  I shoved past him to get to my locker. I was not afraid of him.

  "Why you been dressing like you tryna get somebody attention too?"

My face twisted in disgust. "What the fuck is that supposed to mean, Kadeem? I ain't putting this shit on for nobody but myself. If you don't like it, that's too bad." I slammed my locker and walked away.

  "Where the fuck you think you going? I ain't done talking to you."

I ignored him and stormed all the way into Acacia's classroom. It startled her at her desk, I could tell, and my expression softened once I saw her. "Sorry, I didn't mean to do that." I threw my stuff onto my desk and leaned on a side counter perpendicular to her desk. She just watched  me over the tops of her reading glasses while I threw my little fit, looking pretty amused.

  "Did something happen just now?" She asked finally once I calmed down a little.

  "No, nothing happened," I sighed.

  "Sure as hell doesn't seem like it."

  "Niggas just ain't shit!" I groaned, putting my face in my hands. "they think they the only ones you checking for, the only reason you breathing, and it just ain't the case. Ever."

  "Yeah, they feel pretty entitled sometimes." Acacia took her glasses off, then walked to the front of the classroom to start writing the lesson the board. I wondered how many more of those ass-hugging pencil skirt suits she had laying up in her closet. Her body was made for them. "Kadeem is giving you a hard time?"

  "Yeah, just because I didn't call him last night-"

Acacia stopped writing and turned around slowly. We both seemed to come to the realization at the same time. I really just cheated on that nigga. I ain't even think nothing of it until this very moment. Damn, I was low.

I took a deep breath and looked her in the face. I didn't really need to say nothing else.

  "Aaliyah," she began, setting the chalk down.

  "Yeah..."

The minute bell rang and kids started piling into the room again.

  "I wanna see you after class." She stated curtly and emotionless, but her eyes said it all. Keep my mouth shut.