{Chapter Thirty Nine}

Tingling Fingers

July 28th, 2017

Mike

Lips press against my ear and I shiver awake, my skin turning to gooseflesh. Ashley lays next to me on my arm and I wiggle my fingers to regain feeling in them. It takes me a minute to open my eyes, my senses acting as eyes.

My mind comes awake and heavy pressure lays itself on my shoulders, remembering the gathering for tonight celebrating the news of my wife's pregnancy. I could already see how the night would go, pats on the back from men, remarks about my sex life and everything to do with it, remarks about her until I would push a drink into their hands and make them forget about the teasing. Women would congratulate her, already be making toys, furniture, and clothes for the arrival that wouldn't be here for another nine months. They would be discussing names, commenting on how beautiful she was and telling her how excited they were for her.

I expected everyone to be happy, excited more than they would be for anyone else. After all, a royal child hasn't be born in the colony for over a decade.

Warm summer air is blowing through the open window, I can see the sunlight from the garden through my eyelids, making everything seem warm. The silk of Ashley's camisole seems to flow over my body as she places herself on top of me and lays there keeping me warm.

I still didn't have the want to open my eyes though, I was too relaxed, to content with holding her and feeling the cool silk rub over my naked body with every small movement she made.

Her hair tickled my bicep and when the fuzzy feeling was gone in my fingers I ran it through the strands of silkiness.

"Wake up" She orders, lifting her head from it's spot on my chest and lifting one of my eyelids with her finger. I stared up at her blurry face and blinked hard, sending her finger away.

I rubbed my eyes and finally opened them, staring up at her.

A knock on the door sends my eyes away from her and she sighs as she climbs out of the bed, her camisole flowing around her knees. I pulled the sheet modestly back over me if one of the maids cared to peek inside.

Ashley opens the door and lets out a small gasp as she reaches forward.

"Now I know it was not exactly what ye had envisioned, but the maids had little material to work with" Lucile's accent is prominent outside the door and she gives an acknowledging look inside towards me.

Ashley engulfs her in a hug, holding a dress the color of emeralds. The gown that was made especially for tonight, I had concluded.

As she comes back to the bed and lays it out atop the blankets, I can't help but admire the work the maids had put into it. Silk, satin and emerald everywhere. Strapless, but with long sleeves. Beaded work so detailed that all of the women would have conversation about it.