IV

-Naomi-

.

.

The sun begins to rise in front of me as I continue to drive down the dirt road. I've been driving for hours and I still have no idea where I'm going.

I enter a small town and stop the car in front of a small bar. Above the bar is a tiny apartment. I wonder if they're renting rooms or something. I grab the man's wallet and count the cash that's inside.

I get out of the car and walk into the small bar. I sit down at the counter and rest my elbows on top. "Excuse me, ma'am." I signal the barista. She looks over at me and raises a brow.

"You're a bit young to be in a bar, don't you think, missy?" She asks in her Scottish accent.

"I'm not drinking, so I think I'll be fine."

"Then, what do you need?" She asks in an annoyed tone.

"I was wondering if there was a room upstairs that you're renting, just for the night."

"You're a runaway?"

"Mm." I tilt my head to each side. "You could say something like that."

"How much money do you have on you?" She puts down the cup she was cleaning and leans against the bar.

I pull out a wad of cash and slam it down on the counter. "Is this enough?"

She grabs the wad of cash and counts each bill. She then looks up at me through her bangs. "Sure. One night?"

"One night."

"Alrighty then. I'm Kenny." She holds out her hand. "Looks like we'll be roommates for the night."

I grab her hand and shake it steadily. "Naomi. I'm Naomi."

"Well, it's nice to meet you Naomi."

"Do you think I could have one drink?" I ask with a small smile.

"Hell no." She shakes her head with small laugh. "Come upstairs." She nods towards a door in the back. "Phillis, hold the counter."

A old man walks behind the counter to take Kenny's place. I follow her to the back and up the stairs. "Now, I've got a few rules."

"Okay."

"No bringing in any guests."

"Oh, that won't be a problem." I laugh.

"No smoking or drinking."

"But.. this is a bar." I mumble to myself.

"Oh, and I live with my daughter." She states before opening the door.

"How old is she? Like seven or something?"

"Eighteen." She opens the door to reveal a girl sitting on a table. She looks over at us and her eyes widen once they land on me.

"Mom?"

"Naomi, this is my daughter Elena. Elena, Naomi."

"Hi.." She waves at me slowly. Kenny walks away from me, towards a door and I take this time to look at Elena.

She has fair skin, with this glow to it. Her light brown hair falls down her back and over her shoulders. Her dark brown eyes shimmer from the light bulb hanging from above her head. She's wears a light blue long sleeve and grey sweatpants.

"Get off the table, Elena. You're not a stripper." Kenny demands, making me look at her.

Elena rolls her eyes but listens. She slides off of the table, her eyes on me the whole time. "How long are you here for?" She asks, her voice laced with something sweet.